Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, just got the marriages, spanner in the works

Backgroud info

Adonijah Hagget & Sarah Thrower (botp) married 14/10/1800 Brockdish, Norfolk

James privately baptised 16/7/1801 - Brockdish, Norfolk

Then the following all at Wingfield, Suffolk
    Susanna d of Adonijah and Sarah HAGETH 8/1/1804
    Jonathan s of Adonijah and Sarah HAGGAI 25/5/1806
    Sophia d of Adonijah and Sarah HAGGAR 21/6/1807
    Solomon s of Adonijah and Sarah HAGGIT 3/12/1809
    Robert s of Adonijah and Sarah HAGGITH 19/7/1812

Sarah Haggith aged 40 buried 1/9/1812

James Haggett married Mary Rudd 1828 Thelveton, both of Thelveton
    Jonathan Haggitt married Emela Rudd 1833 Thelveton, JH of Starston
    Sophia Hagit married John Turner 1831 Darsham, Suffolk (IGI)

Happy with these 3, found on census, ages & birthplaces all tie in.

Solomon & Susanna/Susan also found on census, ages & birthplaces tie in BUT i've just got their marriages & the father is down as JOHN not Adonijah

Susan Hagget (FA) married Joseph Leftly (FA) 1839 Brockdish, Norfolk. Father John Hagget, labourer. Witnesses Soloman Hagget & Mary Hagget.

Solomon Hagget (32) married Mary Vince (32) 1844 St Peter, Wisbech, Cambs. Father John Hagget of Elm, labourer. Witnesses aren't family.

So i'm I looking for John or Adonijah? Going off Solomon's marriage is John still alive & living at Elm?

Sorry this is long :o but I got these marriage thinking they'd help with Adonijah but feel like i've taken a step back.

Thanks for reading.

Help!

Jay
    Jay

Maybe Adonijah and John are the same person. perhaps they found it easier to pronounce his name as John.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

It could well be that Adonijah was his real name but he was known as John and so his children thought that was his name when they were asked for father's name at their wedding. Have you looked for a death reg / burial for him?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There is an Adonijah Haggith death in Sep 1880 age 77 in Erphingham district - too young to be your Adonijah, I know, but it's such a rare name that I would think he must be related - if your Adonijah didn't have a son named after himself, then did he have a brother whose son had that name? I suppose it's possible that if his brother turns out to be John, then he might have a load of children whose names match Adonijah's children.
        KiteRunner

Comment

I'm hoping John & Adonijah are the same person.

The only Adonijah Haggett/Haggith's I can see are in North Walsham, Norfolk, nowhere near mine & too late to be the same person.

I've searched on freebmd for Hag* at Wisbech (RD for where i've got them in the census), there's a death of a Nathan Haggitt June 1846? All the others link in to Solomon & Mary, & Jonathan & Emela/Emily. There's also a John Hagg Sept 1841.

Jay
          Jay

Comment

This could be the one that died in 1880
            Adonijah son of James Haggith & Margaret (Bean) born 7th August/bap 18th Aug 1802 North Walsham St Nicholas.
            Moggie

Comment

From papers I was sent years ago that Adon. was baptised at North Walsham the son of James Hagget & Margaret Benns. James was the son of Jonathan Chaloner Haggith & Mary Beals. JC was the son of William Haggith & Elizabeth Faulke, who also had a son Solomon. So there's a few names that keep popping up.

I think I need to look into this North Walsham family again & see if I can find a link. It doesn't help that my lot are right on the Norfolk/Suffok boarder so could be from either County & North Walsham is in the North East.

Jay
              Jay

Comment

Just found this, could this be John/Adonijah

Waldersea, Elm, Isy of Ely, Cambs
                Jno H(e/a)ggett 60 Ag Lab Not born in Co
                Wm 15 Ag Lab Not born in Co
                Jno Ag Lab Not born in Co

Indexed as Weggett

Civil Parish Elm County Cambridgeshire
                HO107/78 Folio 11 Page 21

1844 marriage father John Hagget of Elm labourer

What do people think?

Jay
                Jay

Comment

I was about to post that one up for you to look at, Jay! Definitely worth looking into, I would say.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

I think you are right about Margaret's name being Benns. Bean possibly a transcription error. Marriage for James Haggath & Margaret Benns 12th Aug 1801 Tunstead.
                    Moggie

Comment

Right, so i'm on the right lines then. Why can they not keep the same spelling :( LOL

Thanks for the info Moggie.

Jay
                      Jay

Comment

Originally posted by JayG View Post

Waldersea, Elm, Isy of Ely, Cambs
                        Jno H(e/a)ggett 60 Ag Lab Not born in Co
                        Wm 15 Ag Lab Not born in Co
                        Jno Ag Lab Not born in Co

Indexed as Weggett

Civil Parish Elm County Cambridgeshire
                        HO107/78 Folio 11 Page 21
                        Can anyone see these people in 1851?

Cheers

Jay
                        Jay

Comment

In 1841 there are 2 other male Haggetts at Elm. Jno Haggett age 25 & Jno Haggett age 15. The 2nd Jno could be James. To me it looks like Ja's. Both not born in the county.
                          Piece 78; Book: 1; Civil Parish: Elm; County: Cambridgeshire; Enumeration District: 6; Folio: 2; Page: 3; Line: 21; GSU roll: 241227.

Moggie

Comment

Just found this in the Bible: And unto David were sons born in Hebron... and the fourth, Adonijah the son of Haggith". (i.e. Haggith was the mother's name) So I suppose it could be that the two Hagget families are unrelated to each other but both thought Adonijah was a good name to put with their surname! (And Solomon was Adonijah's brother in the Bible, of course)
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks for that Moggie.

Thanks Kate, so it's possible there's no connection between these two families

Cheers

Jay
                              Jay

Comment

Just to update this I *think* i've found Adonijah's death & burial in 1846 as Nathan!

Nathan Haggett aged 77 buried 1846 Elm, Cambridge.

His age & the place he's buried ties in, going to get the death cert & fingers crossed the informant is one of his children!
                                Jay

Comment

Working...
                                X