Bethnal green help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bethnal green help please

Hi I need to visit somewhere to view parish records for the bethnal green and mile end area I have been looking around the internet and It comes up with the London Metropolitan Archives I have been on there web site could some one tell me if this is the place to go.
    Thanks so much Tracy
    Twinklestar

Yes it's definitely the place to go. They have everything for London. A lot of my family came from Bethnal Green and Mile End in the last century and I have found most things I needed when visiting there.

Comment

why dont you send them an email and ask?

Comment

Maggie thankyou very much for your help I am planing to visit on the 27th of this month
        I went to huntingdonshire and found lots of info It was a much smaller archives.
        Kyle Justin I was going to email them but they receive thousands of emails each month and sometimes they can not be answered for up to fourteen days.
        I was quite sure I needed to go there and thought some one on here that is researching in that area would have the answer
        Thanks Again Tracy
        Twinklestar

Comment

Does anyone know of any Bethnal Green parish records on line?
          If it's to be, it's up to me.
          Searching for:
          English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Hi Jeanie I have looked every where The only online reference I found was Abney park cemetery where a few of my lot from bethnal green and mile end were buried
            Apart from that I couldnt find any thing

Tracy
            Twinklestar

Comment

I've also found Bethnal Green records at the LMA. If you search their London Generations database you'll be able to see what records they hold before you go. (Bethnal Green comes under Tower Hamlets). The database doesn't include everything they hold but the main stuff is on there.

NB if you want to search for say St Matthew you'll need to type "Saint" rather than "St".

London Generations

Jackie
              Jackie

Comment

Jackie thankyou for that info i will have a look
                Thanks Tracy
                Twinklestar

Comment

Have you looked at ParishRegister.com - Parish Records Online they have a lot of of Baptism records on cd and they are gradually being added to findmypast.com. You need to know which church you are looking for on PR, but their cd's are very good, I have one for St.George in the East 1809 - 1815, so if you need anything from that let me know.
                  FRANK

Comment

As already said its probably a good idea to try to pin down the parish church they might be in because thats how they are indexed. ie a lot of my lot are St Matthews, St James the Great which was part of St Matthews parish, Christ Church Spitalfields and St Judes, all three are in Tower Hamlets as in Bethnal Green but it could be that some of your ancestors are now in Shoreditch which a lot of mine were ie St Leonards etc.

If you check the census returns they are on it should tell which parish.

The border between Tower Hamlets and Hackney (south Hackney and Shoreditch) changed a few times over the last century - it has remained the same as it is now since the second world war but before then was a bit fluid. I know because I live there.

Its a very dodgy area when it comes to parishes and borders of boroughs depends which year/century you're looking at.

You also need to check the Mile End Churches which will also come under Tower Hamlets check the census returns for parish church names or even streets and then check out which church is nearest.

Comment

Originally posted by TWINKLESTAR View Post
                      The only online reference I found was Abney park cemetery where a few of my lot from bethnal green and mile end were buried
                      My cousin's great-grandmother was buried at Abney Park. It's now a public park run by a Trust. The cemetery company went bust about 1970.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It is also in the borough of Hackney.

Comment

If you're going to LMA remember to check to make sure they're open - last time I went they had notices up saying they were closed for 2 weeks in November (sorry, can't remember the exact dates!). It would be a shame to waste a trip - they have loads of stuff there.

If you want old newspapers for that area they're held in Bancroft library near Stepney Green station.

Most of my lot were Bethnal Green/Shoreditch

Comment

They are trying to close down the Bancroft Road Archives there's a petition going around I've signed it but unfortunately I'm not sure there's one online.

My cousin has been heavily involved in the campaign to save it.

It will be a tragedy if they do close it down. We are thinking of making a protest outside.

I think its called Direct Action, peaceful of course.

Comment

Hi Frank and maggie thanks for all the info I am trying to find where someone would have been buried James wood died in bethnal green in 1897 i will have to get his death certificate I looked at a site that gave all churches within the bethnal green area
                              But as i say i will have to get his death certificate
                              Thanks again for all your help
                              Tracy
                              Twinklestar

Comment

Lindsay yes i read on there site they were closed for a stock take but they are reopening before my visit thanks for letting me know
                                Tracy
                                Twinklestar

Comment

Maggie the last sighting i have of james wood is on the 1891 cesus by this time he is living in mile end new town registration district whitechapel I then find his death reigistered in bethnal green 1897 all these areas are so confusing
                                  Tracy
                                  Twinklestar

Comment

Hi ben I have chk'd the abney park online but hes not there so will have to look into it more
                                    Tracy
                                    Twinklestar

Comment

Benny thankyou very much for the information every one has been so helpful
                                      I agree its like looking for a needle in a hay stack
                                      Tracy
                                      Twinklestar

Comment

Originally posted by TWINKLESTAR View Post
                                        Maggie the last sighting i have of james wood is on the 1891 cesus by this time he is living in mile end new town registration district whitechapel I then find his death reigistered in bethnal green 1897 all these areas are so confusing
                                        Tracy
                                        He might have been buried at the 'Tower Hamlets' cemetary at Mile End where quite a few of mine are from in that era. Although my GG Grandmother died in 1891 in the City of London Union Infirmary which is in the Mile End Road and backs onto the Tower Hamlet 'Bow' Cemetary and we don't think she was buried there!

Unforunately it was very overgrown and hasn't been used as a cemetary for quite a few years fell into a terrible state until some people decided to work to keep it 'alive'.

And so recently its had a new lease of life

Welcome to Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park

My cousin who I mentioned earlier is a member of the 'The Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park'.

Sorry to keep mentioning her but she does do a lot for the history of the East End. She's also trying to transcribe the headstones at the Tower Hamlets Cemetary too, she's found a few of ours just by tripping over them and not realising until she looks more closely.

Welcome to Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park
                                        Last edited by Guest; 12-11-08, 21:01.

Comment

Working...
                                        X