WW2 army records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 army records

Father in law is still alive and served from 1939-1945. I am thinking of asking him for permission to send for his army records. I think he may say that he doesn't need them as he knows what he did. There may also be something in them he doesn't want us to know. He was telling us of lots of the men having gonorrhea, reckons he kept away from that side of things, but you never know.

If if says yes I want to get my facts correct. Is it true that if he sends for them, or gives us permission, they would be free of charge? Was also thinking about asking his brother as well. He was 96 this year.

I think it's Glasgow isn't it? I have looked in the Wiki but can't find the address.

Anyone know for certain?

Also, I would like my uncles as well, he is deceased. He was in the 8th army in North Africa. I'm sure his daughter, his next of kin, would let me as long as I pay. Don't know his regimantal number though, can you get them without that?

If the person applies for their own records it is free, I don't think it is for anyone else though. I'm trying to get my grandfather to apply for his so I can save money after he dies.

Also I don't think you need next of kin permission if the person is deceased. I can't remember the website with the details but maybe someone else will remember and post them.
    Kit

Comment

Kit

When we applied for OH's grandfathers WW1 records, this was well before they were at the NA, we had to have next of kins permission (my father in law)

Comment

Have a look here

Army Records Office

This explains all..

For surviving next of kin to apply for military records there is a £30 non refundable fee.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
        Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Thanks Raven

I wonder if its possible to get them without the regimental number, as in my uncle?

Comment

Margaret,

Give them us much info as possible... If you have the regiment, his name, dob it is a good starting point..

The forms you need are downloadable from the Army Records Office.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
            Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Hi Margaret

We applied for my great Uncle's WW2 records with just exact date of birth and included extra sheet with when he married etc. I didn't have a regimental number.
              Last edited by Kaz in a Tizz; 12-11-08, 11:26.

Comment

If the person applies for their own records it is free, I don't think it is for anyone else though.
                It is also free for the widow(er) of the service man/woman.

Comment

I thought they insisted on seeing the death cert (unless a personal application, obviously!), but I can't see that mentioned now.

Comment

Hi Merry

I'm not sure about the death cert. either as my grt uncle died in the war so we just mentioned about the telegram received. (My father was the one who actually applied).

Margaret, I forgot to mention my grt Uncle was also in the eighth Army in North Africa. (A very different outcome to the family story but that's nothing new )

Comment

Can anyone tell me who has applied for records. I have records for my granda, they are about the size of a book, about 10/15 pages with dates he was abroad, enlisted etc. Are these what I would get if I applied? Don't want to send £30 it i've already got them.

Jay :o
                      Jay

Comment

Merry I had to enclose a copy of my dad's death cert... It is mentioned on the Cerificate of Kinship If I remember rightly.

Raven's Wiki Page
                        Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Thanks for all of the answers. I will have to broach the subject with father in law.

My uncles will have to wait though. Can't justify the cost this side of Christmas.

Comment

HI

if you are not the offical next of kin, that being in order
                            A the Widow/widower
                            B the son or daughter of that person if that person
                            C grandchild them to write a letter asking them

Then depending where you status of kinship falls you have to ask the person above you in the list to provide you with a letter giving you their approval to apply for the records

And as Raven said 2 posts above you do have to submit a death cert if said person has passed away, if you dont have the regimental number then you must have his correct date of birth.
                            WendyP

Comment

If someone had no children and you were their nephew, would you be considered next of kin? Or, would the eldest neice or nephew have to give permission?

Thinking of OH's uncle. He is still alive but at 96 don't know if he would give permission. He does seem a bit confused sometimes. After his death, not wishing him so, would my OH be considered a near enough next of kin? His wife is deceased.

Comment

HI Margaret

The official Next of Kin is the first person in the following list who is still alive

List of Relatives

Only tick the box of the first living relative and write their full names next to it.
                                Widow / Widower
                                Son / Daughter
                                Grandchild
                                Father / Mother
                                Brother / Sister
                                Nephew / Niece
                                Grandparent
                                Other (Specify)
                                WendyP

Comment

Working...
                                X