X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 5 and Vista

Hi,
    just a quick query.
    I have FTM 5 and I am about to get a new laptop with Vista.
    Are the two compatible or will I have problems. My desktop has Windows XP.
    Many thanks to anyone who can help.
    from
    herky
    who doesn't know very much about computers!
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Sorry they are not compatible.
    Family Tree Maker 2005, 2006 or version 16 are compatible with Vista providing you download a patch from the FTM website.
    Family Tree Maker 2008 and 2009 are fully Vista compatible.
    Elaine

Comment

Many thanks Elaine.
      New laptop arriving soon and I wanted to have all my tree transferred for a visit to archives etc in a few weeks.
      If I get this patch thingy then I should be OK.
      Thanks again.
      herky
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

No, the patch will only work if you are using FTM 2005, 2006 or version 16.
        It will not work with any earlier versions of FTM.
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,
          Yes, it is FTM 5 that I have.
          I have had a quick google for the patch but the only site I could find kept on coming up with error.
          I will have another look tomorrow when I have more time.
          Many thanks.
          herky;)
          herky

Comment

OOOPS
            I have just realised what I have done - I have confused FTM 5 with FTM 2005.
            It is FTM 2005 that I have. I assume they are different editions.
            Very sorry for the confusion.
            What a fool i am.
            herky -:o
            herky

Comment

Ah right, version 5 is certainly different to 2005!

Yes it will work on FTM 2005 once you have downloaded the patch.
              When you get your new laptop then install the program on the new computer using your original FTM2005 disc. Once you have done that go to the following link and download the patch.

Vista patch

When you install the patch it is very important that it is installed into the same folder where your FTM2005 is stored. The instructions are easy to follow but if you have any problems then ask again.

Don't download and install the patch on to your current machine - wait until you receive the new one.
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks very much Elaine,
                I did manage to find the patch for 2005 - no wonder I couldn't find it for 5 if it isn't available.
                I am a bit tempted just to get a complete new FTM - 2009 - bu I am used to 2005 and don't fancy having to change what I am comfortable with.
                Is 2009 easy to adapt to and can I transfer all of my tree from the old computer which has 2005 to the new one with 2009?
                Sorry for all the questions.
                I love my tree and I am really scared of doing something to lose it, especially as I am really not very technical.
                I do back up on disc from time to time.
                Thanks for your help.

herky
                herky

Comment

You will find that FTM 2008 and 2009 are very different to FTM 2005/6.
                  If you are happy with what you have got then I would recommend installing FTM2005 and downloading the patch.
                  If you do decide to change to FTM 2009 then your tree can be transferred between the different versions very easily without loss of data.
                  Don't buy FTM 2008 - it's not very good! :(
                  Elaine

Comment

Great - I will have a think - so it's either 2005 and the patch or 2009. and avoid 2008.
                    Thanks for all your advice, what a great group this is!
                    Best wishes.
                    herky
                    herky

Comment

Hi Herky,

I was in the same position as you last month. Was about to buy a new laptop with vista and had FTM 2005 on an old desktop with XP.

I bit the bullet and bought the new 2009 version of FTM. Had a few problems to start with, mainly I couldn't find the marriage notes, but with some help from here have now sorted that - my fault, was looking in the wrong place :o

I mostly love the new 2009 version, I like the way you can see all of the information about a family on the one screen and link notes to the relevant fact. The only problem I've had is that my notes and sources are in a bit of a muddle, but that's mainly due to the way I recorded them in 2005.
                      Sue

Comment

Thanks Sue,
                        I have a feeling that I may be in the same boat as you and have not got my notes in the correct place.
                        When I got FTM 2005 I just muddled through doing my best but probably not putting my notes and sources in the correct place.
                        Part of me would like to start all over again but that would be a huge job thatIi just don't have time for.
                        Like everything new, I guess, I will just have to get used to it.
                        However I like the idea of having more info on the screen - that certainly appeals to me.
                        I think I may just transfer to the new laptop with 2005 and when I have more time have a think about 2009. I don't suppose there is any great hurry to move to a new edition.
                        Thanks for your mail - it all helps.
                        All the best.
                        herky
                        herky

Comment

PS - Why on earth is it called 2009 and this is only 2008?
                          Very strange!
                          herky
                          herky

Comment

Herky - a screen shot from FTM 2009 to give you some idea of what it looks like (ignore the text I have added in the boxes - its a screenshot I used for an earlier thread to explain something)

Left hand column is the index of individuals in your tree - you can have the list hidden or showing.
                            Top centre is a 3 or 4 generation ancestor tree
                            Bottom centre - family view group
                            Right hand column - facts/notes/sources/media - all easily visible at the same time as the family view. You can decide what is shown in the notes column - I have preset this one to show census information as I was concentrating on that at the time and with it being on view its easier to enter the information. You could just have birth/christening/marriage/death/burial if you want - in fact anything that you decide!

It's a totally different format to earlier versions of FTM and does take some getting used to. I have actually stuck to FTM2006 for my own tree because I have a home page created through that version but when I am doing other people's trees I have been using 2009. FTM 2009 doesn't offer a home page facility or internet backup, although I don't think the latter was available on FTM2005 anyway.
                            Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,
                              Thanks very much for your post - great to be able to see a page.
                              Yes, it is quite different from 2005. I like the idea of seeing a mini tree and all the census or other info on the same page.
                              I also like what I assume is a kinship report - I take it it is the relationship between the tree builder and the individual featured. That is something I always like on paper documents (photos, newspaper clippings, census etc) - I usually write in pencil 'great grand uncle' or what ever as I like to be able to place the relationship.
                              So all-in-all great features.
                              As for home page or internet - I have no need for that so not a problem (I don't have any tree in the public domain, well apart from on genesreunited and that is only open to one or two special people.).
                              Thanks again - that has given me food for thought and there really is no hurry for a decision now as I can transfer to the laptop with 2005 and a patch and think about 2009 at a later date - perhaps santa will get it for me - hint hint!!!

Best wishes.
                              herky
                              herky

Comment

Hi Elaine,
                                Just a quick note to say thanks and that I have successfully downloaded my tree and the patch with no problems at all. (when I say me I mean my husband has done it for me).
                                So all systems go.
                                Thanks very much for your guidance.
                                Best wishes.
                                herky:D
                                herky

Comment

Working...
                                X