Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im finally going to do it - im off to Kew

Hi

Ive decided that it is about time i made a trip to Kew. Im going to go and look specifically at the marine records as they seem to have some really great information, as well as BMD of wives and children.

Is there anything i can take a look at while im up there? I have no pre WW2 service records that i can look at, so is there anything else?

Im guessing its a "how long is a piece of string" question, but as there probably isnt the chance of me going for a long while i want to make it as useful as i can. Looking at the marine records is my main priority, but what else is helpful in progressing my research?

Im going to take a trawl through the list of stuff they have on their website to see if anything jumps out

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Robyne

Kew is overwhelming and you will definitely want to go back, so use the time to find your way about and familiarise yourself. Don't miss the bookshop near the entrance!

Where do I start? Well, if you have Met police ancestors, or railway ancestors their records should be there, not sure how easy it is to find railway folk. Info on mariners, Wills, passenger lists, etc. Have a look at the headings under Family History column on left side of this page: The National Archives of the United Kingdom

Remember to register online and order your first 3 documents in advance.

Oh, and if you have nothing else to do check out the library - it has a wealth of books on all areas of the country and has many street directories and so on. I once found, just by mooching the shelves, a book with the floorplan of the grand house where my gt grandfather worked as a manservant.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There is a load of stuff there Robyne, I'm still going through it 3 yrs on and I live 30 mins by tube.....:o

I don't know why but the search engine seems to bring up more for me when I use it there rather than at home... so whatever you search for search again when you get there.

What sort of things do you think you might want to explore? there are a few of us here who think kew is their second home and we might be able to point you in the right direction

Sx

Edit........ see Nells already admitted that it's her second home too......:D
      Last edited by Peppie; 11-11-08, 21:29. Reason: :D

Comment

Thanks Nell and Peppie. I have someone who was a plate layer and also someone who was a ships fireman. Is it likely their information will be there?
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

I also have someone who was a Parish Beadle in Marylebone in the 1840's-50's
          Robyne

Comment

Ohh and if you fancy it..... well some company there are a few of us going in Dec...... see the events part of the site for the details....;)

You can have a good search in the morning, chat about your research problems with us all at lunch which might give you some pointers and then get to it again in the afternoon. :D

Comment

WIth regard to the plate layers, I don't think they kept records of labourers, but worth asking.

I don't know about ship's firemen, but Kew is probably the right place.

Parish beadles info would be at relevant records office, so Marylebone would be Westminster Archives.
              [my gt gt grandfather was a parish beadle in Richmond on Thames - I found him listed in street directories which were in the local history centre in Richmond]
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
              X