Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shameless bragging thread...Sorry

Scotland pow again........you there, stop groaning at the back

Roxburghshire has a total of 35 parishes, nine have been completed and there are submitted images for a further two (11 parishes in total have images).

It is with great pleasure i now announce that of the 11 parishes with images the wiki can now boast

fanfare of horns

11 hyperlinked talk pages with historical information about 13 buildings.

Comments welcomed (about the pages not about my bragging please!!)
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 11-11-08, 16:38.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

I wish I had a Scottish ancestor, (well, I've got one Jane b c1795 surname & place unknown) Well done Glen, there will be others to whom this will be really uesful.

Comment

Great work Glen. Very interesting reading & some handsome churches to look at too. Is there an idiots guide to adding to the Talk pages as I have some info on some of the Scottish churches I visited recently? Geraldine

Comment

Great work Glen.

Geraldine - Caroline has prepared a guide for adding extra information
        Places of Worship ~ Adding Extra Information
        It looks a bit scary at first but if you follow it through step by step it´s relatively easy - if you get stuck then just shout and someone will come to your rescue.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldine View Post
          Great work Glen. Very interesting reading & some handsome churches to look at too. Is there an idiots guide to adding to the Talk pages as I have some info on some of the Scottish churches I visited recently? Geraldine
          I think Caroline did put a guide together, the most awkward part is the coding to hyperlink the images to the info, once you get used to it then it's like everything else but getting started can seem difficult.

One way round that is for someone to create the page and text, then i can always pop the codes in later if needed.

Let me have a bite to eat and come back later with some details.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

[QUOTE=Glen in Tinsel Knickers;1475793] the most awkward part is the coding to hyperlink QUOTE]

Eeeeeek!

Comment

I think the only thing missing from the guide Caroline produced was how to make a talk page in the first place.

Let's assume i want to make a page for the Perthshire Parishes "A" section and then add some details for Aberfeldy Church.

To make the talk page go to the page with the Aberfeldy Image, click on the wiki navbar (top red square), in the dropdown menu click on the "discussion" option (lower red square)

This creates a talk page opened at the edit menu;
              to make a section for Aberfeldy enter the name in the wiki code as per the example, == Aberfeldy ==

Add your text as normal but make sure you use the <br> code to create a new paragraph or to create space between lines of text.

When you have added the details you want scroll down and hit the "preview page", this will show you a preview, you can edit the text and codes if needed to change the appearance/spelling etc, once you are happy with the results click the "save page" button

The page is now saved and is shown below, note how the <br> codes have created the spaces between the lines of text, to edit the page at any time just go back to the page and click the "edit" option (shown circled on the right).

Geraldine

The talk page is now set up and appears as shown in the last illustration, have a play with editing the page, you can't spoil anything or break the wiki...honest, if you have a query just ask.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

[QUOTE=Geraldine;1475878]
                Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                the most awkward part is the coding to hyperlink QUOTE]

Eeeeeek!

You only need think about two codes really,

1. To make the Aberfeldy "headline" the code is

== Aberfeldy ==

just substitute whatever name is needed between the == == symbols.

eg == Drumnaroddie == == Auchter Sunwy ==

2. the <br> code used as shown above.

i can hyperlink the parish. image and talk pages so don't panic about them, (Elaine sometimes heads to ones i have done already to refresh her memory :o...........Sorry Elaine)

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

It seems that i can't tempt many folks to make a comment so i'll try a question instead.

Does anyone want to add a talk page for a church or parish in the wiki and would like me to set the page(s) up for them or help them try themselves?
                  If you can type then you can add a page, anyone fancy a go?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I have already set some up and can confirm that the more you do, the easier it gets, (but it took a bit of concentration in a quiet room to start with).

Comment

Hi,
                      I fancy having a go for some of the Churches I've submitted pics of on the Eastern Region.
                      I've printed all the instructions from Caroline and also that from Glen, as I didn't know how to set up the talk page in the first place.
                      I think I'll have a go by myself for starters and once I've done one I'll post the name of the Church so you can see how it looks.
                      If I encounter any problems I'll probably pm Glen.

I did send a note to the Region 5: Eastern : Discussion thread about this and asked if they thought it was a good idea if we all had a go but no-one has replied to me yet.

Cheers,
                      Neil.

Comment

I have added some to our Region, Glen. It's not very difficult and your How to... makes it very clear. Well done.
                        If I can do it anyone can:D
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                          I have added some to our Region, Glen.
                          Funny that, i was thinking about a church pic i submitted for Gainsborough, i'm not sure exactly when it was built but probably in the 1950s or early '60's, i know the name of the company that worked on the building, ironically they were based across the road and their former yard is where i had to stand to get the picture, i also know the name of the main foreman and have a few pictures of him too (my grandad).

If you have a look at St Stephen, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire then that's the church involved, just looking at the image i noticed the brick building in the distance to the right of the picture, not only the magistrates court but also at the same time used as the register office. Either way round you came out with a ball and chain :D :D I ended up doing a 7 year stretch after going in there, my crime? I stupidly said "I do" :(

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Not sure what was so funny about my comment Glen

Good story that tho'. My OH had a ball and chain made at work to attach to my brother's leg at the reception after his wedding.
                            Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                              Not sure what was so funny about my comment Glen
                              There aren't many talk pages for non Scottish pages, most of the english pages are for Lincolnshire and it's my home county and your region. Funny was maybe the wrong word to use.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi Glen,

Well, I've had a go but I seem to have missed something.
                                If you go to the Wiki and Huntingdonshire and then Huntingdonshire Towns and Parishes W and go to Wood Walton you will see I have managed to do the Hyperlink to the Talk page and if you're on the Talk page I've managed to do the hyperlink straight to the picture.
                                But what I can't seem to do is get a hyperlink direct from the Huntingdonshire Towns and Parishes page.
                                I know I need to put
                                [[Talk:Huntingdonshire_Towns_and_Parishes_W|Wood Walton]]
                                but there doesn't seem to be a Edit feature on that page.

Where have I gone wrong.
                                I'm sure it is something easy that I've missed - please help.
                                Neil.

Comment

Wood Walton * is not showing up as BLUE at the moment so there is no hyperlink to the talk page.

Ah I think I seee where you have gone wrong.

You need to go into Hunts towns and villages to the list page with this on:

Wood Walton*

Scoll back to the top and click on WIKI in blue bar and then Edit.
                                  Scroll down to the W section and you need to change

*Wood Walton <nowiki>*</nowiki>

to read this:

*[[Talk:Huntingdonshire Towns and Parishes W|Wood Walton]]<nowiki>*</nowiki>

Don't forget to SAVE . This will give you the blue hyperlink to your talk page.

If you are making Wood Walton BOLD then you need to do this:

*'''[[Talk:Huntingdonshire Towns and Parishes W|WOOD WALTON]]'''<nowiki>*</nowiki>
                                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 13-11-08, 17:20.
                                  Kat

Comment

Hi Kat,
                                    Thank you, thank you.
                                    I knew that I had successfully hyperlinked the St. Andrew's photo to the Talk page and vice versa and I knew what code was required to hyperlink Wood Walton to the Talk page as well but I didn't know how to bring up the Edit feature when I was on the Places of Worship:Huntingdonshire page.

Thanks to you I have now done it and Wood Walton is in Blue, Yahoooooo!!!!!

Cheers, Neil.

Comment

Well done Neil:D
                                      Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Nasher View Post
                                        Hi Kat,
                                        Thank you, thank you.
                                        I knew that I had successfully hyperlinked the St. Andrew's photo to the Talk page and vice versa and I knew what code was required to hyperlink Wood Walton to the Talk page as well but I didn't know how to bring up the Edit feature when I was on the Places of Worship:Huntingdonshire page.

Thanks to you I have now done it and Wood Walton is in Blue, Yahoooooo!!!!!

Cheers, Neil.
                                        Fantastic Neil i was hoping someone would just have a go at a talk page but it seems you have surpassed my expectations and added the hyperlinks too.

I think i have caught wiki-itus today, i feel really rough (dizzy, weak and just not with it at all) so haven't been online, i'm glad to see you plugged away anyway and after a look at the page i'm really impressed. I hope it's the first of many that you can add and is a great example to others too.

Thanks for your effort and can i also thank Kat for stepping in too.

Well Done.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                        X