It's an expensive hobby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's an expensive hobby!

When my late mother in law gave me the family notes she told me she had a younger brother who had died very young. They were an Army family, living in India, and I was surprised that he was not mentioned on her father's army records.

OH's elderly aunt (sister to m-i-l) is very interested in the family history so I normally take something over for her when we visit the UK - and the last time I was there we discussed this missing sibling.

She found some photos which were taken while they were in holiday in Ireland (visiting grandparents) around 1920 and we worked out that the child had possibly been born and died in Ireland. I eventually found his burial in Belfast - in the same grave as his grandparents - but aunt wanted me to get certificates.

Tried twice for the birth certificate and twice for the death certificate without success - £24 wasted!

Was reading a message on here last week where someone recommended an Irish researcher (thanks Margaret) so decided to pay £14 for an hour's research which would hopefully include a transcription of the certificates.

Just had a reply from him and he has found both the birth and the death - the name was indexed as Bonverie instead of Bouverie, which is obviously why my requests to the GRONI were not successsful.

Thinking that the information would be enough for OH's aunt, have just phoned her with the news .. but she would still like the certificates - so another £22.

So in total £60 for two certificates .... but at least one elderly lady is happy that she will eventually have something about her baby brother who she cannot remember.
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 12-11-08, 08:13. Reason: typo!
    Elaine

Aww thats nice Elaine but yes like you say expensive hobby ;;;;
    have to get my own back for all the certs I need thanks to you ,,,lol (((hugs)))
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Aw Elaine what a good outcome and one elderly lady very happy

Good outcome for you too, well done for persevering..

]

Comment

I was helping my daughters mother in law to do her tree and sent away for several certs for her. They day they arrived she was told that her husband had cancer.
        Obviously all thoughts of family history went out of her head. He died in about 6 weeks and I have never reminded her of the £50 plus that she owes me.
        She does have the certs though.
        If it's to be, it's up to me.
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Yes family history does cost money but in real terms it has never been as cheap as it is today.
          There was a time when a person had to visit many archives in person to get the information required or write in the hope one would receive a reply.

The mass of online records and readily available transcripts today has made research easier and cheaper.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Oh Elaine that is a lot of money. It is an expensive hobby and annoying as well at times but it is very enjoyable and I have met, online & in real life, many wonderful people and I don't regret that.
            Kit

Comment

Hi Elaine,
              Great news and glad it's worked out for you. Whilst it might seem expensive it's not as much as some hobbies like golf or fishing and at least you have something to show for it at the end that will no doubt be passed down through generations and appreciated by many!
              Margaret

Comment

Thanks for the link to the Irish researcher Margaret - very pleased that he found what I was looking for.
                Elaine

Comment

Working...
                X