Sentenced at Old Bailey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sentenced at Old Bailey

I am hoping that some of you more experienced researchers can help me.

The biggest "Skeleton in the Cupboard" (to date) is John Curwin. To be honest the only confirmed facts about him are his baptism, the fact that he was married to two wives (at the same time) and that he died in an asylum.

Oh I forgot the biggie - he was tried for "killing" and sentenced to "manslaughter" on 19 August 1872 and sentenced to four months. The offence occurred outside the Railway Inn near Victoria Docks, London. Unfortunately although I have the information from the Old Bailey Site it does not state where he was imprisoned, apparently you could be sent anywhere they had room!

I have been on the national archives site and found a batch of Photographs of Victorian Convicts but unfortunately it is not complete as some of the photographs did not survive and he is not there.

I am looking for local papers to see if the case was reported.

Where do I go next please?

The second question is:

John Curwin was a mariner (perhaps there are more wives!) can you tell me what "NVA Number" refers to - I don't know if it has a naval/merchant navy connection.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Peanuts (Jean)

Have you already tried looking on the Times Digital Archives, Jean?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Jean, where did you get "NVA number" from, please?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

John Curwin

Kiterunner

He joined the Antenor on 2 March 1872 in Liverpool.

I have a copy of the crew list of the Antenor in 1872 (merchant navy) one of the items states "if in the reserve, No. of Commission or RV2: and the number given is 35272. Sorry the copy is pretty poor and I misread it - I have just used a magnifying glass on it.

It states that he was discharged in London on 18/7/72 and paid 8/8/0 - the offence must have happened around then (perhaps that is why he was discharged as there is no reason given on the sheet as to why he was discharged) His trial was on 19 August 1872, they must have dealt with cases much faster then, although there weren't as many people in 1872 as there are now.

I am sorry to have misled you.

I have been on timesonline - no luck. I will try the London Gazette can someone please give me the web address?

Peanuts (Jean)

Comment

Court cases were much quicker to come to trial and lasted less time than now. My gt gt gt uncle killed someone in October, was tried on 17 Dec and the trial lasted less than 3 hours.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Not sure how useful it will be for crimes London Gazette website:

Advanced Search

Comment

John Curwin -

Hello Jill

London Gazette:

I have been looking but cannot find anything.

Thanks anyway.

Jean

Comment

Thanks for the link to the London Gazette - I was lucky to find lots of stuff. I don't think there are any criminal reports but lots of military stuff and bankruptcy proceedings, etc.
                Jenny

Comment

Working...
                X