Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i find parents?

Hi

I have the marriage cert of Thomas Lakin and Jane Urry at St Thomas' Church in Portsmouth in 1825. In the 1851 census Jane is born c1810 and in Portsmouth. I have a copy of the marriage cert, but there is no parents name and i cant make out the witnesses. The Urry family seem to be very dominant in the Hampshire area, which would be great for me as its finally a link to my current location but i am unable to locate an exact Jane Urry from the LDS. Unfortuanatly Jane died in 1851 so i am unable to glean any more information, however their daughter Mary Ann was also born in Portsmouth so im presuming was baptised in the same church. Thomas also appears at the time to have been in the military presumably based in Portsmouth again. (Thomas was born in derbyshire and in the 1841 census the family are back up in Burton on Trent).

Will there be any other information that i can possibly find to try and help locate her parents/relatives? As i am in Hampshire it is relatively easy for me to get to the records office although wont have a lot of time to hunt as i will have to take my children with me. If i can get hold of the original records at the church will that tell me any more information?

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

The marriage entry should have the nems of witnesses, but even if they are members of the Urry family, as you won't know what relationship they are to the bride, it may not be possible to sort out who is who just from that.

Sometimes looking at the burial registers in conjunction to the baptism records can lead to eliminating some of the baps if the children died before your Jane married. (Not so easy to do in a busy place like Portsmouth though!!)

Comment

Also if you can find wills for any of her possible relatives they may give enough info to be sure if it's the right people or not.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I phoned up the Portsmouth Marine place today who has told me that the National Archives holds all the marine service records as well as the BMD of people in the marines. He was also very helpful and told me that he can look for a list of ship etc that he was on so i might give him another ring and get that info. At least it will confirm that he actually was one to begin with
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Working...
        X