Help Reading an occupation, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Reading an occupation, please.

Does anyone have any idea what occupation is given for James on the 1861 Census.
    RG9/95/89/48: James P Bailey, 18 William St, Pancras. Head. Age 52. Born Dorset, Poole.

I can't find him or his wife Harriet on the 1871 census, but in 1881 he is listed as a Violin Maker. However, no matter how I squint my eyes, I cannot make this read violin maker. :o

Thanks.

Here's the 1871

RG10; Piece: 204; Folio: 6; Page: 3

He's a carver on that one.

1861 is something maker. At first I wanted it to be Cameo, but it's not that!

Comment

Is it Varnish? I wonder if we can find another word beginning with "V" to compare?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
        Here's the 1871

RG10; Piece: 204; Folio: 6; Page: 3

He's a carver on that one.

1861 is something maker. At first I wanted it to be Cameo, but it's not that!
        Thanks Merry! Boy that was quick, though!!
        I can't believe that I couldn't find James & Harriett in 1871!! That is nuts! I searched for both of them and can't believe that I couldn't see them!! Both show up quite clearly!! LOL!!

I really can't make that first work into anything that makes sense at all.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          Is it Varnish? I wonder if we can find another word beginning with "V" to compare?

I think you are right!!!

Comment

Sorry Merry....I wrote that other message and thought that I had posted it!! Doing several things at once or trying to, and it appears that I am not doing them well, because I came back to check here and found the message still waiting to be sent!
            I hope that you didn't think that I was ignoring you.

Kate, That is a good thought.....I can see Varnish in it if I just squint a bit!! It is a good suggestion.

Comment

There is one 6 lines up...John Stephens...Liscenced Victualler.

Comment

Oh, Gracious! He is some sort of distiller in 1851!!
                HO107; Piece: 1494; Folio: 731; Page: 19

Looks like Naphllea????????

Comment

Naphtha - I had to look it up in the dictionary!
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kate....Not that I have heard of it!! LOL!! I did think of Napthalene when I saw it, but the word didn't look like that.

Wonder how he progressed from a Naptha Distiller to a violin maker? It doesn't seem like a natural progression. Sound streets apart to me!

Comment

Working...
                    X