Edward Worsfold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Worsfold

This is really out of curiosity, so please nobody spend money or too much time, but can anybody find Edward Worsfold in 1901?

He joined up 2 September 1914. He was a carman, born Battersea and gave his age as 23 yrs 46 days.

On his marriage certificate a couple of years earlier, he gave his age as 21 and his father as James, also a carman.

The most likely candidate is an Edward born Wandsworth RD Dec 1891

We were trying to help his grandson find out about him. Somebody had been "helping" previously and had found an Edward born 1885 in Lindfield Sussex, son of John!

It looks as if Dad is J Worsfold, carman, born St Martins, aged 39 in 1881. His then wife, Emma, may well have died.

Can anybody follow the family through?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Not having any luck so far!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nor me, (though I can confirm Lindfield is still full of Worsfolds)

Comment

I can't sort out this family group, but I feel they might be connected.....

1861: RG9; Piece: 179; Folio: 69; Page: 9

James Worsfold 21 carter b Reigate Surrey
        Emma wife 18 b Strand
        no children yet.

1871: RG10; Piece: 656; Folio: 33; Page: 16

William Worsfold 29 carman b Reigate Surrey
        Emma wife 27 b Middlesex
        Emma 7
        Ellen 4
        Henry 1
        children all born St Georges, Surrey

1881: RG11; Piece: 595; Folio: 39; Page: 25

J Worsfold 39 carman b Middlesex St Martin
        Emma wife 36 b Lambeth, Surrey
        Emma 17
        Ellen 13
        Henry 11
        James 4
        John 1
        children all born Lambeth, Surrey

So James doesn't always know his first name or his birthplace , but I'm pretty certain this is the same people all the way through.......

I can't find them as a group in 1891 or 1901. Emma would probably be too old to be the mother of Edward b 1891 (though not impssible!), but maybe he was the child of one of the daughters?

Update! Having said the above about Emma, it looks as if she may have died in 1881:

Deaths Dec 1881
        WORSFOLD Emma 36 Lambeth 1d 252

Perhaps James/William remarried to someone who could give him a few more children? I still can't find him later, but it doesn't help when the person has a variable first name and birthplace!!!

Comment

This is "dad" in 1891 from FindMyPast:

WORDSFOLD, James 1841 50 M Lambeth London

He is a carman still. Unfortunately as well as not being easy to find on Ancestry, he doesn't seem to have anyone in the household with the same surname.

Comment

Ah, here he is in 1891 (it helps if I look at the 1891 not 1901!!):

RG12; Piece: 395; Folio 64; Page 31

He has a new wife, Sarah, but she is 48 in 1891, I think, and they are in Lambeth when they need to be in Wandsworth for the birth of Edward. Hmmmm.........

Comment

Found them in 1901:

RG13; Piece: 406; Folio: 62; Page: 59

and of course there's no Edward b Battersea! lol.

Comment

Tells self "always read the WHOLE original post"

It looks as if Dad is J Worsfold, carman, born St Martins, aged 39 in 1881. His then wife, Emma, may well have died.
                I never saw that bit! lol

Comment

Thank you for your efforts, folks! Being without Ancestry or home access is making life difficult!

My initial suspicion, and I think what you have found so far strengthens that belief, is that Edward is probably a grandson of J Worsfold, possibly by one of the daughters.

We've been banned making work time posts, so any other thoughts have to wait for later!
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
                  X