I've found Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've found Faith

sorry, not a religious conversion - and hope this title doesn't offend.

My OH had a married-in by the name of Shadrach, and when I investigated his family on the census I found brothers called Meshach & Abednigo, and sisters named Hope and Charity. (you know where this is going now, don't you!)
    I've got the Birth registrations for all of these, and when I told my SIL she remarked she was surprised there wasn't also a daughter named Faith.

Thanks to the "new" LDS family search pilot, when I searched for Shadrach I got a list of his children - which DID include a girl named Faith. She died aged 4, so missed the census. Initially I'd not found her registrations because her surname was spelled incorrectly - and its the same spelling for both birth & death. I suppose the registrar was having an off day as all the children are registered at the same office.

Anyway, the real point of this posting - FreeBMD does not always give you a particularly intelligent list of alternative "soundex" names for surnames, and sometimes the lists are positively enormous. Don't forget you can try wildcards for what might be common alternative spellings.

I was looking for Lycett - Faith is entered as Licett.
    Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 11-11-08, 07:59.
    Vicky

Vicky

I always wonder about these names. I mean, suppose you only had one girl, and started with Faith, you'd never get Hope or Charity, would you?

My mother was told a fancy story about her Great Aunt Chat, whose name was Charity, that she had twins called Faith and Hope. Chat actually had 4 sisters and 3 half-sisters but they all had conventional names like Amelia, Ellen, Fanny etc.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

And I've got "Christian Charity"

This dear girl was born out of wedlock and gave her full name for both her marriages, but only made the 1841 census as Christine.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
        Vicky

I always wonder about these names. I mean, suppose you only had one girl, and started with Faith, you'd never get Hope or Charity, would you?

My mother was told a fancy story about her Great Aunt Chat, whose name was Charity, that she had twins called Faith and Hope. Chat actually had 4 sisters and 3 half-sisters but they all had conventional names like Amelia, Ellen, Fanny etc.

Faith (these days anyhow) is a nice enough name on its own, regardless of whether you were anticipating having any more girls to complete the trio. I find the Mesach & Abednigo more interesting

Shadrach seems to be a fairly common name in certain parts of the country, though most families don't seem to have carried on with the others!

I've been told that Shadrach was a Methodist preacher, though haven't been able to confirm that yet (he was a full-time coal miner). Interesting that this family's roots are in the Midlands, which must have been a hotbed of Methodism. My own family with the odd names - Curshon, Paron, Abel etc - were from that area too.
        Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 11-11-08, 08:08.
        Vicky

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
          And I've got "Christian Charity"

This dear girl was born out of wedlock and gave her full name for both her marriages, but only made the 1841 census as Christine.
          Diane, I love that!

My own "Christian" born abt 1779 appears on the census & her death cert as Ann
          Vicky

Comment

Originally posted by Vicky the Viking View Post
            I've been told that Shadrach was a Methodist preacher, though haven't been able to confirm that yet (he was a full-time coal miner). Interesting that this family's roots are in the Midlands, which must have been a hotbed of Methodism. My own family with the odd names - Curshon, Paron, Abel etc - were from that area too.

I wonder if the methodist training college at Calver have any archives that might help you?

Cliff College | Christian Evangelical Theological College | Hope Valley, Derbyshire
            Barbara

Comment

i think a lot of bible names are coming back,i have a few and one being nimrod brenda xxx

Comment

Vicky
                They're not from Shropshire are they?? I found a family of Bennett's with brothers Shadrach, Mesach and Abednigo in the 18c

Comment

Originally posted by Kaz in a Tizz View Post
                  Vicky
                  They're not from Shropshire are they?? I found a family of Bennett's with brothers Shadrach, Mesach and Abednigo in the 18c
                  parents were from north staffordshire (though dad was born Oldbury) then they moved to Lancashire.
                  Vicky

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Dodds View Post
                    I wonder if the methodist training college at Calver have any archives that might help you?

Cliff College | Christian Evangelical Theological College | Hope Valley, Derbyshire
                    Unlikely. New local preachers were nearly always (and still are) trained locally by more senior local preachers and/or the local minister.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

If you click the "Phonetic search surnames" box at the bottom with a surname Lycet and first name Faith, the very first entry is Faith Licett Jun qtr 1865 Wigan.

Don't know why you couldn't find it.
                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                        If you click the "Phonetic search surnames" box at the bottom with a surname Lycet and first name Faith, the very first entry is Faith Licett Jun qtr 1865 Wigan.

Don't know why you couldn't find it.
                        because initially I wasn't looking for "Faith", just any births with that surname over a 10 year period, and the phonetic search gave me loads.
                        Vicky

Comment

Working...
                        X