Just Getting Started - Need Some Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Getting Started - Need Some Help

Hi, I'm just starting on my family tree including surnames Cranson, Jones, Fowler, Carrick and Green.

I've got as far as my Great Great Great Grandfather George Fowler born in the Darlington area 1822.

How can I find out who George's father is?

Plus I need to find out more about my Great Grandfather Alexander Cranson born 1891. Should I just apply for his birth & marriage certificates?

What is the GRO number, do I need this and what's the quickest way to get it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

A nervous newbie!!

Sharon

Hi Sharon, wlcome to FTF - don't be nervous! lol

Re George Fowler b 1822, if you get a copy of his marriage cert that should tell you his father's name and occ. Do you know George's wife's name?

Re Alex Cranson - do you know where he was born? We might be able to find him on the 1901 census. In the long run you will need those certs though.

Comment

If Alex was born Eng/Wales then this is the best fit:

Births Jun (that's Q2, ie Apr, May and June) 1886
      Cranson Alexander Weardale (District) 10a (Volume number) 298 (Page number)

Where did you get his approx year of birth from?

The GRO details are as I've detailed above. You always need the year, quarter, district, volume and page number to order via the GRO.

Comment

You can order via the GRO from this site using a debit or credit card:

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

Comment

Erm......have you got back to George Fowler without buying any certificates?

Be aware it is very easy to end up doing the wrong tree, so you should back up the info you have found with the certificates as far as 1837

Comment

Are you sure about Alex's year of birth ?
            There's only one on Freebmd ...

Alexander Cranson born Jun Q 1886 ... Wheardale, Durham

this one also appears on the 1901 census with parents George and Jane

Oooops ... sorry Merry ... didn't read through the thread
            Last edited by Rachel Scand; 10-11-08, 16:00.
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
              Hi Sharon, wlcome to FTF - don't be nervous! lol

Re George Fowler b 1822, if you get a copy of his marriage cert that should tell you his father's name and occ. Do you know George's wife's name?

Re Alex Cranson - do you know where he was born? We might be able to find him on the 1901 census. In the long run you will need those certs though.

Hi Merry (and everyone !) Thanks for replies so quickly. Ok.....Yes I know George Fowler had 2 wives - first Ann then widowed then married Margaret.

Re Alex Cranson - born Tow Law, North East. I can't find him on 1901 census.

Sharon
              Last edited by CransonJones; 10-11-08, 17:02. Reason: Fact Change

Comment

If Alex was born Eng/Wales then this is the best fit:

Births Jun (that's Q2, ie Apr, May and June) 1886
                Cranson Alexander Weardale (District) 10a (Volume number) 298 (Page number)

Where did you get his approx year of birth from?

The GRO details are as I've detailed above. You always need the year, quarter, district, volume and page number to order via the GRO.

Got his year (and date!) of birth from his son - my late Grandfather.
                Birth Date: 11 April 1891
                I've checked the info I've been given - the birth place is Tow Law.

Comment

Erm......have you got back to George Fowler without buying any certificates?

Be aware it is very easy to end up doing the wrong tree, so you should back up the info you have found with the certificates as far as 1837

Got this far using the census from 1851 - 1901. Cross checking occupations, partners, addresses, children etc. Will start looking at certs now though. How do I get the GRO numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                    Are you sure about Alex's year of birth ?
                    There's only one on Freebmd ...

Alexander Cranson born Jun Q 1886 ... Wheardale, Durham

this one also appears on the 1901 census with parents George and Jane

Oooops ... sorry Merry ... didn't read through the thread
                    Hi Rachel - apparently Alexander's father is Joseph - not George? This is from my late Grandfather's records. But yes, this could be incorrect. I can't ask my Grandfather as he has passed on!

So where do I go from here?

Comment

You can find GRO numbers by looking at the transcribed registers on Freebmd
                      FreeBMD - Search but this is not the complete indexes.

Complete indexes are on Ancestry (subscription site) and available on microfiche at records offices.

I'm frankly staggered that you got so far without certs. It's also a good idea not to place too much reliance on what family tell you. Human memory can be faulty.

Start with now, and work back, using checks for everything. Certs, parish registers and censuses can all help to corroborate what you find.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by CransonJones View Post
                        Hi Rachel - apparently Alexander's father is Joseph - not George? This is from my late Grandfather's records. But yes, this could be incorrect. I can't ask my Grandfather as he has passed on!

So where do I go from here?
                        :o Sorry I mis-typed !

The family on the 1901 are

Joseph Cranson (52)
                        Jane (wife) (50)

Walter (23)
                        Jane A (21)
                        Alexander (14)
                        Esther (12)
                        Margaret E (4)
                        Hannah Wilkinson (27)

Click on this link if you have 'Ancestry'

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 10-11-08, 18:16.
                        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Had a quick look for the birth of Alexander on the complete index

Just looked for births in the 2nd Q ... 1886 - 1892

That one in 1886 is the only one I spotted

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 10-11-08, 18:53.

Comment

Hi Sharon

There is an awful lot of useful information together with links and examples of how and where to find records in our wiki (reference) section.

If you click on the link below it will take you to a useful section in the wiki where site reviews and links for the main records sites are given as well as some guides to using the sites too. For example one guide shows how to search the freebmd site for birth, marriage and death records.

The section isn't fully complete yet as far as site guides go but it should help you with a few of the popular sites.

Online Research - Family Tree Forum
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

HI Sharon, Alexander cranson's [ b 1886] father was Joseph Cranosn b1848 His wife was Jane Purvis.b 1850.they had 11 children Alex being one of them.My great grandfather was Thomas cranson b1870 their first born.I have birth certs for the whole family.We are in New Zealand as Thomas Cranson moved here in the late 1920's with all but one son.I am happy to share any info I have but am un sure as to how we can exchange email addresses or is that not allowed ? I am new to family tree forum.I have with the help of other family members gone back to 1715 on the Cranson side.
                              Regards Paulette Mauchline
                              Last edited by P Mauchline; 29-04-10, 00:06.

Comment

Pauline you can send Sharon a private Messgae (pm) if you click onto her name and send private message it will take you to box where you can send her your e-mail addy without anyone else seeing it , if Sharon replies to you through pm you should get a e-mail from site telling you or you can click onto private messages above at top of page ;;

Babs
                                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

contact

HI Babs,Thanks for that I will try that option.Paulette

Comment

Thank you everyone - particularly the administrators for contacting me and alerting me that Paulette had been trying to contact me. I've sent Paulette a private message with my email on, so hopefully we'll hook up soon. Really excited about this - to have found relatives in New Zealand, and to have got a little further in researching my Grandad's tree. It is a very personal journey for me as my Grandad Alexander (born 1929) died a few years ago having passed all his genealogy research over to me. I adored him and by continuing his work, I feel we are still very connected. I hope one day that my own son - also Alexander, aged just 4, will appreciate all this when he comes to wonder where he came from.

Thank you as well to everyone who gave me advice - I have started to order certificates from Ancestry.com now, although Paulette says they do have a lot already so might save me a small fortune if she is happy to share.

Sharon

Comment

Don't order from ancestry - they charge a premium. Order from GRO direct at a cost of £9.25 each.
                                      Margaret

Comment

Was just going to say the same thing Margaret!

This is the official site

Comment

Working...
                                        X