Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dont forget tonight about Conscientous objectors !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont forget tonight about Conscientous objectors !!!

8 pm Channel 4

Not Forgotten: The men who wouldnt fight

Thanks for that Val. I'll watch out for that

Comment

Thanks, Val - will be watching with great interest :D
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

That interests me greatly.

I am fully prepared to stand on the beach with a Rifle and defend my Country from invasion, even though the right to protect my own home has been taken away.

However, I do not feel that I have the right to invade someone else's Country and interfere with their lives.

Ever since the year Dot there have been very very few "Peoples' Wars". Instead the King of England has decided that he should also be the King of France and sent word to his Lords to gather their men together and form an Army. Or Politicians have decided, for a variety of reasons, that the Common People should become cannon fodder in a dispute they have.

My attitude is, and always has been, that if Tony Blair, George Bush, or whoever is in charge wants to interfere in a military way in another Country's business, let him lead the Troops into battle. If this was indeed the case I am convinced that many Wars would be studiously avoided.
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Grampa Jim View Post
          My attitude is, and always has been, that if Tony Blair, George Bush, or whoever is in charge wants to interfere in a military way in another Country's business, let him lead the Troops into battle. If this was indeed the case I am convinced that many Wars would be studiously avoided.
          Hi Jim,

While I agree with many of your arguments, I must take exception to your last point. I readily accept that Blair, Bush et al are unlikely to personally "lead troops into battle", but requiring our leaders to be warriors can easily become a justification for military dictatorship. Admittedly, the generals (or colonels) in charge generally avoid frontline fighting once they achieve political power, although Napoleon comes to mind as a relatively recent exception (I also believe George II of England led troops in battle, although probably before taking the throne).

I don't think this is what you're advocating, but could be an 'unintended consequence'.

Cheers

Tim
          "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Good point.

Well instead of LEADING the Troops how about they have to accompany the troops in the Front Line?
            Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Thanks Val,
              My daughter is covering this topic as part of her GCSE history, so will get her to watch it as she has a coursework essay on that very subject to complete by the end of this week.

Comment

*bump*

It's just started!

Comment

I though it started at 9.00 pm UK time! Have I missed it?
                  Elaine

Comment

Panic over - our cable system for Channel 4 is called Channel 4 + 1 = one hour after the normal Channel 4 time.
                    Elaine

Comment

Stay tuned after, there's a time team special on a WW1 Bunker.;)

Comment

That was an excellent programme

... Made by the same people as WDYTYA? because they used the same music :D

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, Val

What a thought-provoking programme. I scribbled down all the names that were mentioned, just in case!
                          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I dont know about anybody else but do you find yourself hoping to recognise one of the soldiers faces.

Comment

Working...
                            X