X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Requested re Name Bodis/ Boddis

I would appreciate advice as to where to look for information regarding
    two ancestors.

The problem is the spelling of the family name:The spelling of the name that I have known is Boddis,but variations show Bodes. Bodis.Boddice
    I am following the Boddis line of spelling.(for the moment)

James BODIS Bootmaker married Ann Firm Servant girl n Wolverhampton December 1849
    Their marriage certificate shows James Bodis his father as a Miner
    it does not show his mothers name.I wish to find out who she is.

My question is how can I find out James Bodis/ Boddis, Bootmaker mothers name.
    Thanks you for any suggestions
    Wulfruna.

Hello Wulfruna...

Sounds like you must live near to me!

The first place I'd try would be the FreeREG site.It's very good for Wolverhampton.It has baptisms,marriages and burials.Sorry,I don't know how to give you a 'link' to it but if you Google,you'll find it.
    Look for a probable year for James baptism....say 1825,give or take 5 or 10 years.Then see if you can tie in that information with anything on the census....Also,I always look for possible siblings.It helps sometimes....It's been a brilliant website for my research!

All the best,
    Sandra.
    Sandra:smilee:

Comment

Oh!..forgot to say...you are also able to play around with 'soundex' to help with your various spellings on the FreeREG site.

Sandra.

Comment

The first thing you need to do is to find James on the censuses to see what it says for his place of birth so you will know where to look for a baptism.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ancestry has James Bodder a miner with wife Elizabeth and a son John aged 20 on the 1841 census (It looks like Boddis to me)
          Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 983; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Walsall; County: Staffordshire; Enumeration District: 16; Folio: 29; Page: 1; Line: 21; GSU roll: 474617
          Heather

Comment

I've had a bit of spare time on my hands and have had a look on FreeREG....

I've found a possibility for James BODICE...son of James and Elizabeth.
            Baptised 15 June 1821 at St Peters,Wolverhampton.Father's occupation is a miner...?

The parents names tie in with the information Heather found on the census...?

Going back a bit further...there is a possible marriage for James BODDESS to Elizabeth CARTWRIGHT,also at St Peters in 1819.....

Have fun searching!

Sandra.

Comment

Thank you all so much.

This is so helpful, I have managed to solve a couple of mysteries re the family name prior to this but I was stuck didn.t know which way to go, this one quite a challenge,
              To think I only wanted to go back a couple of generations.

Wulfruna p.s will let you know the results.

Comment

freeGEN Boddis Family name

Thank you so much for putting me in touch with the freeGEN site
                its everything you said it would be,found so much information regarding the Bodis/Boddis family.

Been sitting here for the last couple of hours trawling through the information
                pity I didn't find this before,;) would have saved months,never mind had a lot of fun.

Thanks again....glad I found this site.P.s Thanks Happy Cakes.
                Wulfuna Australia.

Comment

Working...
                X