Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideas on a shipping list

hi all.

im having trouble with an ancestor. her name is friedreke wilhelmina elizabeth
    eisfelder. all i know of her is her father was carl rudolph eisfelder and she was born around 1843, klaudelen.

she married in the early 1860's in concordia, south australia.

im thinking that, since klaudelen doesn't seem to be a place in germany, it may be a ship. but i dont know what ship she was on, or when she came to south australia.

is there any ideas someone can help with for ships and dates?
    Last edited by kylejustin; 18-11-08, 04:25.

This website gives some ideas on places to look for SA passenger lists

Immigration into Australia: Online Indexes and Passenger Lists.

This is another good site for SA passengers

TO SOUTH AUSTRALIAN WE ARE BOUND-PASSENGERS 1836-1888 by Diane Cummings

You might have to wade through all the ships arriving from Germany to find them.

There's a Carl August Eisfelder listed as arriving in Adelaide in 1855 from Hamburg. Knowing a little about another German family, its seems to me that Carl August and Carl Rudolf might just be related. Theres also a Johann Carl Eisfelder arriving in 1849.

Not all the passenger lists have been indexed yet, but if you can find death certificates for them in the SA records, they might give "how long in colonies" which appears on NSW and Vic death certificates.
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

As the only internet hits for "klaudelen" seem to be your posts, have you considered that klaudelen might be an incorrect spelling or mistranscription?
      Maybe you can find the right place name here: Places in Germany that start with K
      This is the homepage of the site, in case you want to try other starting letters: Directory of Cities and Towns in World
      Sarah

Comment

There are some submitted records on the IGI about these people with Klaudelen mentioned, but as one was born in 1817 and the other in 1843 I wouldn't have thought it was a ship. However if you look at the individual record and then click on the submitters details you get some names and addresses of the submitters. They may be out of date but would it be worth contacting them to see where they got the information from?

Jackie
        Jackie

Comment

The Australian National Archives has an image of Carl August Eisfelder's memorial of naturalisation.

He was b in the Hartz Mountains, and was aged 36 - in 1882? - difficult to tell, because I can't spot a date for the document, only that it refers to legislation from 1846. this could refer to the Snowy Mountains in SE Australia, but I suspect it refers to Germany (S and a bit E of Hannover)...
          Another look at the image, and the "Kingdom of ?????" suddenly looks a lot more like "Kingdom of Hannover"

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's currently a place called Clausthal-Zellerveld in the middle of the Harz. If you substitute a K for the C, the first part of the name is Klausthal... I just wonder how easily that could be misread as Klaudelen?

Christine

The Australian NA link:
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-11-08, 18:01.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanx for the replies everyone.

diane, what ship were you looking at in 1849? i looked on the dianne cummings site and couldn't find wilhelmina on any ship, though i did note there were a lot of eisfelders from clausthal.

christine, i did see those hannover naturalisations on the above site, and the s.a. naturalisations site.

i found awebsite i have used before that has updated that says klaudelen/klaundelen is in prussia, which isn't too helpful, because it doesn't say where and the town will have changed names especially if it's in modern poland. they are nasty trying to find in today's maps. you cant wiki them either, as only the polish name will come up, and if you're lucky, will tell you what the germans used to call it.

Comment

christine, i thought of clausthal-zellerfield too.

night owl, that information is the only info anyone has on the eisfelder's, including my grandma, who is really good at this german relations.
                by the way, how would you know a father's birthplace and occupation if you dont have the kids details?

cloggie, i will check out that site

i also thought that klaudelen might have been the name of an estate in south australia, it's not the first time i have an anestor born at their house or a family's home

Comment

i forgot to ask, is there a site i can find s.a. bmd's? or do i have to go back to the state library and use their online indexes?

Comment

the only info the name could come from is the marriage cert or her death cert.
                    i know the date and place of mariage, but it will cost at least $40 to get that cert from s.a., whereas it will cost $17.50 to get her death from my registry in vic.

Comment

update

i have the deaths of frederike and her husband adolph from jeparit, victoria.

frederike wilhelmina elizabeth gebert, died 4th june 1917, jeparit.
                      age 74.

parents names and occupation- father, eistfelfer, mine manager
                      mother unknown.

born in germany, spent 26 years in vic, 29 years in s.a.

she arrived in victoria in 1891. and left germany for south australia in 1861/62.

so, im looking for eisfelders arriving in australia around 1862, she was 19, and was wondering if there was some way to investigate the mine manager job?

Comment

Working...
                      X