Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a advice

hi

could sks please tell me if now or in the past you would need to produce a birth certificate to register a death,

im wondering this as my hubbys grandfather died in 1966 and i can find his death but i cannot find a birth for him , on his death reg he is aged 64 and on his marriage cert may 1925 he is aged 22 nearly 23 as ive been told his birthday is 6th june, so that would have made his birth year 1902,

there is a little mystery over this person as i have told you before, he married in the name platt, died in the name platt, but possibly not born platt, as there was a penny policy on the side when he died in the name of melia, but when my mother inlaw asked about it the daughter and wife of this person rushed off and were whispering in the other room about it, ive been trying my hardest to find his birth but as of yet ive hit brick walls, i dont want to give up, but its looking like i will have to,

No, you didn't have to produce a birth cert, and if anyone born before 1837 died you wouldn't have been able to anyway.

Not sure about nowadays.

Have you looked for birth under name Melia? Do you know whereabouts he was born, or of any siblings he had?

And never say give up.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I think they like you to take the birth cert nowadays, simply because the information recorded has changed over the years. Date and place of birth is now included on death certs, so certificated evidence is appreciated. But if informant hasn't access to the birth cert, word of mouth will have to do.

This requirement is post 1966, though, (to answer the original question.)
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 09-11-08, 18:50.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thanks nell

yeah ive looked for birth in both melia and platt but there are so many to pinpoint one, not got a defo area of birth, 2 areas are weaverham, ashton under lyne, but all this is hearsay, i did send off for a couple but not the right ones,
        his name is john platt or is it melia
        this is the information facts i have
        marriage certificate 30th May 1925 fathers name n occupation is joseph platt ,labourer, deceased, (cant even find him)

death certificate 18th Dec 1966 aged 64yrs

so i know for a fact who is father is and when john was married and when he died but all before is a mystery,

i was told by johns son that his dad took him to a big house when he was little to see a lady they called, miss melia (bridget) and that she was and old lady, well as a young lad most woman from about 50 is classed as old in their eyes, so no help there,

i looked on some electoral rolls and did find this john platt living with a lady called kate platt, now this is before his marriage in 1925, who is this lady, is it his mother if so i cant find any joseph plats married to a kate, this kate lady must have been over 25 other wise she wouldnt of been listed on the electoral roll so ive been told, or was he married previously, if so then why does his later marriage certificate say bachelor.

Comment

BMD Jun 1902 shows:

MELIA John Chorlton 8c 889

Could this be his birth?
          Bridget

Comment

Joseph Platt, labourer deceased may not have existed. Kate may have been an unmarried mother - or an aunt or other female relative.

The Melia thing is intriguing. Of course the lady might have been called Amelia and to a small boy anyone over 17 is elderly!

Comment

thanks bridget

im not sure whether its him or not, i have sent of for a couple i will have to check if i did send for that one, the name john and melia and platt are such common names so makes things difficult,
              i like names like lovenbury, which i found to be a lovely name to research, so easy, but suppose i should be glad ive not come across smith yet

Comment

thanks nell

i didnt even think of that, so maybe he lied about knowing who is father was, you know i cant wait for this 1911 census to come available, it will spread light on so many mysterys on this side of the family,

thanks again

Comment

I can confirm that you don't need a birth certificate to register a death these days, but they do ask you when & where the deceased was born, if you know.

Joanie

Comment

I too confirm you don't need a birth cert to register a death.

You only have six days to register a death and if you don't have a copy of the relevant birth cert to hand, it would take a good bit longer than six days to get a copy!

Age at death is also only as good as the informant's knowledge and might well have been a guess.

OC

Comment

Well, he may have invented a Dad to be respectable, or his mother may have invented a father so her son didn't feel ashamed. He may have been giving information he believed was true.

Comment

I came across the name O'Melia recently and wondered if they meant O'Meara, but I found some records in Freebmd as O'Melia, so you could try that as a name variation. Good luck

Di
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia
                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                          I can confirm that you don't need a birth certificate to register a death these days, but they do ask you when & where the deceased was born, if you know.

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

You only have six days to register a death and if you don't have a copy of the relevant birth cert to hand, it would take a good bit longer than six days to get a copy!

Age at death is also only as good as the informant's knowledge and might well have been a guess.

OC
                          when my mum died in 2004 we had to produce her birth certifictate so we could register her death and subsequently have a funeral.

perhaps this is a regional thing, I dunno.
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

According to the GRO official site Deaths: Registering a death - What documents do I need?

you only get 5 days to register a death and all you need is the certificate from the doctor and the NHS card (though I bet many people don't have a clue where that is), unless the coroner is involved.

Comment

No, the Registrar cannot refuse to register a death just because you do not have a birth certificate for the deceased.

They like you to produce one if you have it, but they cannot insist unless they suspect some kind of devious doings which would allow them to hold up the registration of death and the subsequent funeral arrangement.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                According to the GRO official site Deaths: Registering a death - What documents do I need?

you only get 5 days to register a death and all you need is the certificate from the doctor and the NHS card (though I bet many people don't have a clue where that is), unless the coroner is involved.
                                I didn't even have the NHS card, just the cert from the Doctor for permission for cremation, a pink slip I think it was.

Joanie

Comment

The annoying thing in my opinion is that the GRO does not cross reference the registrations which would make sense. This is how fraudsters steal identities etc.
                                  Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Pippa

They are trying to do this now, I believe, but can you imagine, what a nightmare!

You only have to follow a few threads on this site -

"He was born in Bristol, 64 when he died and his dad was called Arthur"

Turns out he was 73, born in Huddersfield, and he didn't have a dad!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

Hi OC -

While I'm sure you're correct, I do have a question.

I have a copy of my great-grandfather's birth certificate which was issued in 1916 (he was born in 1856), the same year he died. I assume that his widow or another family member ordered this bc at the time of his death or shortly afterwards for some legal purpose (I'm at work now, and can't access the cert to check the exact date). Can you suggest another reason why they may have wanted/needed his birth certificate? To the best of my knowledge, he didn't leave a will, so I assume that his widow would automatically inherit his estate (probably not worth a great deal as he was a shopkeeper in St. Day).

Also, you suggested that it would take more than six days to get a cert - do you think that would be true if an individual's birth and death were both registered in the same place? In my g-gf's case, his birth, marriage and death were all registered in Redruth district, so presumably the local registrar would have ready access to the original entries.

Thanks for any ideas -

Tim
                                      "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Perhaps it was something to do with his pension?

Comment

Working...
                                        X