Cor, this is tough - occupation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cor, this is tough - occupation

Someone on GR trying to decipher this. I had half expected it to say Annuitant but its very odd and what is that fraction and the bit rubbed out? Anyone?

Sarah Frost, head, born 1852 London living Walthamstow
    Class: RG13; Piece: 1626; Folio: 44; Page: 14.

I think we've dicussed fractions before and they were part of the code used by the enumerator?

As for Sarah. I think it could be some kind of commodity & then buyer and seller, buy to sell?
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I wondered if it was a badly written "Agent" I know it says "own account" after. I think the enumerator has classified each occupation ie "Green" above the Fruit salesman so I should think the squiggle above is something to do with that.

Joanie

Comment

I think it's Hagilar - a mis-spelling of Haggler.

Perhaps the householders wrote it themselves and the enumerator was as stumped as we are?
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

But Haggler sounds a bit down market doesnt it? To have on own account after it? I thought it began with an A?

Comment

It looks like a capital A to me, Heather but I can't make out the rest of the word, or the squiggle or the 'rubbed out' bit ..... sorry!

Anne

Comment

Own account - well I have a higgler working on his own account. Also loads of laundresses. They were the wives of ag labs and just took in washing (when one couple were elderly, the husband was down as mangler, also working on his own account.) Not always as grand as it sounds.

I though it began with an A, but there seems to be some sort of squiggle/flourish infront of it.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think it does begin with a capital "A"; the squiggle in front is a tick, there is one after every age on the page.

Own account I think just means they worked for themselves.

Joanie

Comment

Thanks people. Cant work it out at all - Agilar ?.........The daughter is embroidering - cant see a connection to dressmaking/clothes though. I looked at the 1891 when hubby was still alive and he is down as a salesman but no further detail.

Comment

OK, completely off the wall, this.....

Does it say Agular, with "fur" written over the top? If so, she maybe meant Aiguiller, which was some kind of needlewoman in either the fur trade, or in the making of aiguilles for unforms. given the daughter is a fancy textile embroidress, this might just fit!

There's something very faint written after it and I wonder if it is "great coats".

OC

Comment

Could an Agilar have something to do with the making of aiguilettes for uniforms? (Not an easy word to spell, I had to double check, they might not have been able to spell it either) Braids & cord & sewing skills would come into that.

Comment

Ohh, Jill, great minds think alike, I just said that, lol!

OC

Comment

Serves me right for spending ages looking for the spelling!

Comment

Oh good one guys, I shall report over on GR

Comment

Janet said to pass on her thanks for this likely solution to her query

Comment

I've been looking at it and can't work it out at all.

Does the bit after say "Day and Night"???

It can't be anything too lowly because they have enough money to be able to employ a domestic servant.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Working...
                                X