UK Press on line site - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Press on line site - help please

Has anyone subscribed to this - http://www.ukpressonline.co.uk/ukpressonline/

I was going to, because I was interested in The Mirror Archives from 1903, but then noticed this "The full Daily Mirror archive 1903-current is presently restricted to Education and Library institution users"

So is it worth doing?
    Joan died in July 2020.

If you want it try and see how far you get. Otherwise see if your Library has it. Not as convenient as home though.
    Kit

Comment

Thanks Kit - I didn't word my original query very well :o

This is a subscription site and I didn't want to spend money only to discover that it didn't have what I was looking for.

I wondered what the words "The full Daily Mirror archive 1903-current is presently restricted to Education and Library institution users"
      meant, as individuals join as personal users, not as "Education and Library institution users".

I think I'm still not explaining this very well
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Joan

In theory I should be able to access Daily Mirror from work. I say in theory because for the about the last month our access to it has disappeared but I'm hoping that's because they were moving it over to UK Press from the place it was before.

I'm back Tuesday evening so I'll find out what's going on then.

Do you want to put me together a list of what you're after.

Hopefully, our new passwords will take us to UK Press so I may be able to see other archives as well as they go online.

Zoe
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I've used the site and The Daily Mirror archives are open for personal use but only for 1903-1980.

Once you've registered, it will then create an account for you. You can then select which archive you want to look at. It sets out clearly the cost and which one you will be given access to. I selected £5 for 48 hours.

Once you've made payment, they inform you by email that you can access the archive. This email notification only seems to occur Mon-Fri 9-5 (I may be wrong on this, but it did seem to take some time for the authorisation to come through).

You can then search the archive. Dates can be selected and it automatically defaults to a phrase search so no needs for quotes "".

The articles are supplied in pdf format and of quite good quality including the photographs.

With my lot, there's more chance of them being in the Daily Mirror as opposed to The Times.;)
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Ooooh, Zoe - how kind - thank you

Is it OK if I PM you as one of the people is still alive?

Many thanks
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Thanks for that link - I can see that I may well succumb to giving it a proper try, when I can spot a block of time I can set aside!

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for that info, Phil and thanks for your offer Zoe.

I've no idea why I didn't think of this before:o , but have just sent an e-mail to the site to enquire about the Mirror archives.
                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Have had a reply -

"the Mirror archive for Personal users runs from 1903-1980, inclusive; a few editions are, so far, missing – the Mirror itself doesn’t have these – and are infilled as we find them.

We are allowed to make the full archive – 1903-current edition – available to the public only via libraries (who subscribe: you may want to check with your local library/authority), most of whom can make this available to members at home, using their library card to login to UKPressonline
                  "

That looks fine for my purposes
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                  X