Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost family

can anybody help me please.
    i am searching for my evans family in worcester.
    my great grandfather was brought up by his aunt after his mother died. but whilst i can find them on the1851 census i loose them after that
    the family are as foll
    mary litterell. 74 head
    ellen litterell 40 dau un married
    walter litterell 11 nephew
    jane litterell 7
    charles litterell 7
    walter was born to thomas evans and his wife mary litterell.
    mary being ellen sister.
    walter ended up in birmingham in lodgings at the time of his marriage aged 21.but where was he in between ?ANY HELP PLEASE,

Hi Megan, and welcome to the site.
    Sorry, but I'm a little bit confused - Walter was 11 in 1851 and you say he was in Birmingham when he was 21 but you want to know where he was in between? Wouldn't he be 21 on the 1861 census? It is unlikely that we can find out where he was between the two censuses. Or have I misunderstood?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Anyway, just so we have their birthplaces from the 1851 to start with:
      1851 Worcester St Martin - Tallow Hill(?)
      Mary Littrell Head Widow 74 Laundress Worcester
      Ellen (or Eliza?) Littrell Daughter U 40 Worcester
      Charles Littrell Son 17 Scholar Worcester
      Jane Littrell Daughter 7 Scholar Worcester
      Walter Littrell Son 11 Scholar Worcester
      Mary Hartley Visitor Mar 21 Worcester
      KiteRunner

Comment

Is this them in 1841? I know you most likely have this already:
        Chapelry of Besford, Eckington, Pershore, Worcs
        Thomas Evans 30 Porter Y
        Mary Do 30 Y
        Celina Do 7 Y
        Walter Do 1 Y

Walter's baptism is on the IGI 22 Jan 1840 St Martin, Worcester. Possible for Celina is Selina Agatha Evans 18 Jan 1835 at Claines? There is a Thomas Evans / Mary Lithell marriage listed on there, 21 Jun 1834 at Claines, so I suppose that's the right one with Mary's surname mistranscribed. I know you probably have all this already but I'm just wondering whether it will help at all if we look for Celina?
        KiteRunner

Comment

I'm presuming Walter married as an Evans? The thing is, I can't see a marriage in Birmingham until a very long time after Walter would have been 21, so I'm just querying his age......

Comment

I found Selina in 1851 but she was a servant, not living with any of her relatives, so that didn't really help, and I suppose she got married after that.
            KiteRunner

Comment

The 1861 census does have Walter Evans age 21 born Worcester living as a lodger in Birmingham, as you say, Megan, and there are Walter Evans marriages in Birmingham in the very same quarter as that census (to Ann Ford, Apr 1861, on the IGI and FreeBMD) and then the following year, so possibly Merry's search went wrong somehow?
              Last edited by KiteRunner; 08-11-08, 23:26.
              KiteRunner

Comment

There is an Elizabeth Lithell (or maybe it is Littrell) on the 1871 census in Birmingham, at 8 Court 3 House Ludgate Hill, age 55 (or it could be 65?), plain sewer, born Worcester, with son Charles age 26, strip caster(?) also born Worcester and niece Cecill Hodgetts age 22, linen button carder, born Birmingham. The age is wrong for the Charles who was in the same household with Walter in 1851, but I wonder if they are relatives of Walter's?
                KiteRunner

Comment

thank you all.
                  walter married married an elizabeth may on 12th june 1862.
                  i need to find the litterell family as above.i dont seem to find them on any of the census for 1881 or on the igi.i need to find what happened to cellina also , before her marriage to edwin yarnold in 1855.

Comment

As soon as I had shut the computer down last night I realised that Charles I found on the 1871 census was the same Charles as the one with Mary etc in 1851 - his age is 7 in 1851, not 17 as I thought, because there is a mark next to the 7 that makes it look like 17. I did think it was strange for him to be a "scholar" at 17! (You had already figured out he was 7!)

So, are you sure that the grown-up daughter in 1851 is definitely called Ellen? I thought it might say "Eliza" and Charles's mother in 1871 is Elizabeth. Or do you have a baptism or other info saying she was Ellen?

I already found Selina in 1851 as a servant, I think - I'll see if I can dig out the details...

This is the 1851 entry I found:
                    HO107; Piece: 2042; Folio: 243; Page: 3
                    50 Shambles, St Swithin, Worcester
                    James Lea Head Mar 47 Butcher Worcester
                    Maria Lea Wife Do 43 Ashford ??????

(then lots of children)

Selina Evans Servt 16 House Servant Worcester

Okay, looking at FreeBMD I think the main problem may be that the surname was actually Lithell, not Litterell. Remember Mary's surname is given as Lithell on the IGI for her marriage to Thomas Evans? And Elizabeth and Charles are Lithell on the 1871 census. Well, there is a Charles Lithell birth listed on the GRO index for Sep 1844 Worcester, a Charles Lithell marriage Mar 1872 Birmingham, and a Charles Lithell death Sep 1914 Birmingham age 69, which matches his year of birth.

Just clicked to see who the others listed for that Charles Lithell marriage are, and one of them is Cecill Hodgetts who was living with the family in 1871. On the 1881 census Charles spells his name Lythall (or it could be Lythell?), so that gives us another variant to go back and look for on the other censuses, lol.
                    Charles Lythall Head Mar 36 ???? Carter Worcestersh Worcester
                    Cecilia Do Wife Mar 32 Glass beveller Warwicksh Birmingham

Death listed on FreeBMD for Elizabeth Lythall age 72 Jun 1877 Birmingham.

Possible baptism for Walter's mother Mary on the IGI, though there are a few others:
                    Mary Lythall baptised 8 May 1808 St Martin, Worcester, parents Joseph Lythall and Mary. There are several other children baptised at St Martin with the same parents' names: Ann 30 Apr 1804, Elizabeth 24 Nov 1805, Sarah 8 Jul 1813 and William 4 May 1817. Also a Hannah baptised at Claines 22 Jan 1800.

Charles Lythall's baptism is also listed on the IGI at St Martin - 30 Aug 1844 - and his mother was Elizabeth. I'm afraid I haven't figured out where Jane (age 7 on the 1851) fits in yet, but since Walter's surname is wrong on that one maybe Jane's is too?
                    Last edited by KiteRunner; 09-11-08, 14:49.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

thank you so much for your help.
                      the glass beveller certainly rang a bell.
                      walter and two of his daughters were also glass bevellers one being my grandmother..

Comment

Working...
                      X