Coin/medal Identification / Latin translation help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coin/medal Identification / Latin translation help please

My Husband has come across this coin/medal type thing amongst his dad's stuff (who died recently). It's quite large, about 1-3/4" (4.5cm) diameter and made of what appears to be gun metal. He's keen to know what it is/signifies. All we know so far is that 'C. Fox' mentioned on the box is my husbands grandfather Charles, and that there is a picture of Stonyhurst college in Lancs on one side.

Can anyone shed any more light on what it is, what all the Latin says, and who the religious chap on the other side is - a Saint or a Pope perhaps?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jewels

Palman Qui Meruit Ferat

Let Him Who Deserves the Palm of Victory Bear It

or

Palman qui meruit ferat :
    Let he who can, carry the palm

Google, see which you think is right
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 08-11-08, 16:40.
    Jess

Comment

The saint is St Aloysius Gonzaga patron saint of the college
      PAT

Comment

Thank you Jess & Pat.
        Do you think these coins were given out on graduation perhaps?

Jewels

Comment

I'd email them , with a photo, if i were you.

They seem to have a good website
          Jess

Comment

Good idea Jess..... I was just saying the same about e-mailing the college to OH.

Comment

I don't know about the "Coll" but there is St Aloys. S.J. which I assume means Society of Jesuits.
              Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Jewels,

The legend on the obverse reads "palmam qui meruit ferat" which means "let him who deserved it carry off the palm [of victory]". The legend on the reverse "religioni et litteris" means for "religion and letters", probably the subject(s) for which the prize medal was awarded. Stonyhurst is, I believe, a Jesuit foundation. I can't actually read the lower legend but if anyone else can I will have a go at the translation.

Peter

Comment

The lower bit (not the "Coll...") seems to say
                  AUDOMARI 1592 LEODII 1773

It doesn't quite look like anything I recognise from my Latin studies (dredged up 'O' level!)

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If you assume these are genitive singulars and Google for their nominatives, i.e.Audomarus and Leodius, you will find a St. Audomarus and lots of Leodius references to choose from.

Comment

Leodis is the latin name for Leeds, and Audomari is the seat of the Jesuit college at St Omer, France, so maybe it is something to do with that?

Perhaps it is a medal to do with knowledge of Catholic Jesuit dogma?

OC

Comment

Yes, the college was originally at St Omer but then moved to Bruges and on to Liege (Latin: Leodium). The history can be found on Wikipedia.

For those nostalgic for the simplicities of Latin grammar the forms Audomari and Leodii are the locative case: in or at St Omer or Liege (remember, Romae = at Rome, humi = on the ground).

Peter
                        Last edited by Peter Evans; 09-11-08, 19:56.

Comment

Peter

HAHAHA! I have just spent ages trying to prove that the Catholic diocese for Stonyhurst was Leeds!

OC

Comment

Many thanks for all your replies and translations. What's written on the coin/medal seems to all tie in and make sense now. It's just the question of what it was for, although I think Peter's probably got the right idea in saying it's a prize of some sort?
                            I guess the only real way to find out is to send the images to Stonyhurst themselves as suggested.

Thanks Again for your help,
                            Jewels

Comment

Working...
                            X