Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religious Divisions..and comprimise French Stlye!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious Divisions..and comprimise French Stlye!

I came across this interesting tale when going through the Parish records of Cambrai for my Huguenot research. Took place a little after the era of persecutions in the 1800's.

A wealthy local merchant at Quievy had married a Protestant girl and has caused quite a stir as these 'mixed' marriages though now legal were extremelly unusual. His wife died 2 years before him, and though he himself was a practising Catholic he requested he be buried with her, in the Protestant 'cemetery', in effect an area at the far end of the churchyard, unconsecrated, and cut off from the main church burial yard by a large hedge.

This presented a problem for the local preist, they were banned from even setting foot in the resting place for the 'heretics' by order from the Bishop. He wrote off a worried letter pointing out to the Bishop this family were the source of much of their local funding and were threatening to cut this off if he didn't conduct the ceremony. The Bishop sent back a letter ordering him to accompany the cortege on its journey through 'the holy ground' and then at the critical moment as they entered the heretics ground, he must seperate from the party, climb up on to the hedge and conduct the ceremony from up there! He apparantly did just this...and everyone was happy. Bizarre, but true!
    Last edited by Richard; 08-11-08, 15:07.

Richard

Haaaaaa!A nice meeting of spiritual and worldy matters!

I have a bizarre little tale about religion. A twiggy ancestor of mine was a devout nonconformist, lol and her husband was buried in the graveyard attached to the noncon chapel.

She fell out with the chapel elders and huffed off to another chapel. But she had her late husband disinterred and reburied at the new chapel of her choice. I can't imagine how much beaurocratic fuss and expense that caused.

Fortunately (?) for her late husband, she died a few years later, before she had a chance to fall out with the new lot!

OC

Comment

And I thought it was just Ireland that had this hang up about Protestant and Catholic! I have American cousins who are quite certain about a brother who was very disaproving of his sister marrying a "Protestant Englishman", so not only did he think that he was Protestant, but English as well, what a calamity! In fact he was an Irish Catholic, but with an English sounding name. He did come round to his way of thinking eventually and the two families were friends in the USA but my Great Grandfather, another sibling was not so forgiving, and he spoke about his sister with a certain amount of bitterness. And this bitterness has been handed down the generations.

Janet

Comment

my holder ancseter were huguenots too from france brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
        X