Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any logic?

Hi

can anyone tell me if there was something going on around this time for my gg grandad to be in Ireland?

He left the army in 1897 and on his daughters birth cert in 1899 he is listed as being a railway plate layer. on the 1901 census his wife and children are in London with no sign of him, until 1902 when he enlists in Ballincollig in Ireland. There my g grandads brother was born in 1903.

I just cant see a logical reason as to why he would go to Ireland in the first place, was there something going on around the turn of the century that would make someone do that trip?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Irish Railways—Transport of Troops. (Hansard, 23 October 1902)

Only thing I could find is that, there was an accident on a railway line from Ballincollig in 1902, a line that was moving troops. The damage was extensive. Perhaps the fact your g-g grandfather is down as a railway plate layer is significant? He may have been helping repair this damage?

Comment

I wonder if it may have been the other way round? He enlisted at the beginning of october 1902 so wonder if he was working on the railway then enlisted back into the army again, into the 12th Lancers. Thanks for that, will take a look into it
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

There were always some British troops in Ireland, until 1922. Probably more at a time of particular "trouble".

Also, the base at the Curragh was a training barracks for ALL British regiments and so they all spent regular stints there.

Perhaps he came out of the army, tried civvy life and decided he was better off financially in the army and re-enlisted?
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

A career soldier, even when he has left the service, is on reserve for ?five? years, so a major disaster requiring both army and civilian trade skills would probably mean he was called off the reserve lists to assist in an emergency.

OC

Comment

Maybe something in the railway story but I have a great Uncle who was doing his army stint in Ireland at the Curragh from about 1903 to 1906, after the Boer War.

As has already been stated, there was always some trouble in Ireland until 1922 and partition, with a gradual boil up to 1916 and the uprisings which were very "war torn."

The South Ireland Imperial Yeomanry came into being in 1902 where people could join that regiment for just one year. This was mainly the feel good factor from the Boer War.

"The South Irish Horse existed for a mere 20 years, formed in 1902 as the South of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry and disbanded in July 1922 along with five other famous Irish Regiments;
            {The Royal Irish Regiment, The Connaught Rangers, The Leinster Regiment, The Royal Munster Fusiliers and The Royal Dublin Fusiliers}. Raised as The South of Ireland Imperial Yeomanry in 1902, it can trace its roots to various companies of Imperial Yeomanry. The 61st (South Irish) Company, 17th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry being the most obvious. This company was raised on the 7th March 1900.

During the Boer War many men enlisted to fight in South Africa. Their reasons ranged form patriotic fervour a desire for adventure or just the rather enticing rates of pay. Rather than enlist with Regular Army regiments many men joined existing local organisations, including the various Yeomanry regiments. The Yeomanry had been raised as a local force for service at home, and so, by tradition and Act of Parliament they could not serve overseas. A solution to this dilemma was found by raising the Imperial Yeomanry. Recruits were drawn from existing Yeomanry regiments, reserves and volunteers. Men enlisted for a period of one year, like many wars it wasn't supposed to last quite so long."

With the ending of the Boer War the Irish were becoming more accepted in the British Army so there was a "feel good factor" at this time in Ireland. Sadly it did not last and all blew up in 1916.

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 08-11-08, 16:30.

Comment

Working...
            X