Where would I find some pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would I find some pictures?

My OH has 2 relatives who I can find a fair bit on by googling, however neither has a picture. I'm not so good finding pictures so I was wondering if anyone can find one or point me in the right direction.

The 2 people are father and son.

Sydney Charles Fishburn Jackson (AKA S.C.F. Jackson) b 1860-1865. Married Lucy Beatrice Drake on 2/1/1898. He was a Brigadier in the Army.

Alexander Cosby Fishburn Jackson (AKA ACF and Cosby) born 4/12/1903. ACF was a freemason and wrote several books on the freemasons. I have pictures of the book covers. ACF married Margaret Hervey in 1934 in France.

I'm off to bed but will check in tomorrow morning.
    Kit

There are a couple of hits on TNA - but not for images of the people in question.

Have you tried the Times Digital Archive - or something like that?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you looked for them in GR or Ancestry trees Kit?
      Janet ;)

Researching - Curr, Woolven, Beeden, Haslett, Shurey, Barton, Slade & Harding.

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain.

Comment

I haven't tried the Times Digital Archive Christine. I'm not sure I''ve heard about it. Is that the newspapers or a separate thing? Either way though I don't have access but it is something to remember for another day.

Janet I tried Ancestry the other day as someone mentioned the photos the other day. I haven't tried GR for a while but this family are quite elusive. I'll have another look.
        Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
          I haven't tried the Times Digital Archive Christine. I'm not sure I''ve heard about it. Is that the newspapers or a separate thing? Either way though I don't have access but it is something to remember for another day.

The TDA is available in two ways. There's a newer version which was free but is now by PAYG; or there's the Thom(p)son Gale Infotrac version, which you may be able to access if your county library has made it available. Quite a number have done so - I'm fortunate that Herts has done: so I can access from my home computer using my library card number.

There's also that other database of old newspapers. Not sure whether you can still get free access, or whether that's now subscription.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I was going to say my library doesn't have it but I just checked the State Library and it does. It took some effort to find it but I now have access!!!!! Yippeeeeeee.

Thank you for making me have another look.
            Kit

Comment

If he was a Mason then there will be photographs of him at the Masonic Lodge that he would have belonged to. Try googling Masons for more information on this. A few years ago one of the Family History mags had an article on Masons giving you ideas how to find out more, but I have lost the article in the mist of time! I do remember finding more by google searching the masons. Apparently, all lodges keep extensive files on their members, which includes photographs.

Janet

Comment

I remembered writing something about Freemasons on GR about 4 years ago and found the following which might be of some help;

'From the seditious Societies Act 0f 1799 until 1967 Masonic Lodges were deemed lawful provided they registered their members names annually at the quarter sessions. The resulting records deposited at County Record Offices are the best place to start researching a Masonic Ancestor. Depending on survival you should find an annual certificate from each local lodge signed by the Master or Secretary listing all members with details of their residence and occupation. Because they are annual a succession of these can help map out a Freemasons changes of job and home. Other names on the list are likely to be useful too for people tended to join Lodges in which they already had a trade, professional and particularly family connections. These can lead back to Lodge Records. Alternatively the Lodge can be guessed by consulting the Provincial United Grand Lodge handbooks,(helpful too is the Masonic Year Book) which list and number all local Lodges. People tended to join a lodge within easy geographical reach.

Finally you can enquire at Grand Lodge. which holds semi complete annual returns of members of all Lodges, which they will search for a fee.

Some Lodge Records are now at County Record Offices but most are still with the Masonic Halls, where you may find Lodge Histories, portraits or photographs of officers and membership books listing addresses, occupations, ages, dates of initiation and notes on death or transfer to other Lodges'

This is taken from a seven page article on Masons called:

'Squaring the Freemason Circle' 'Ancestors' Magazine December 2004 Issue . You can usually purchase back copies if you want to know more.

You could also try these websites:

Centre for Research into Freemasonry: www.sheffield.ac.uk/~crf

Canonbury Masonic Research Centre: www.canonbury.ac.uk

United Grand Lodges of England: http://www.ugle.org.uk/

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 09-11-08, 10:08.

Comment

Working...
                X