John Rowles Hobbis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Rowles Hobbis

This is my first request for assistance so please correct me if I do it incorrectly. I would like to find my great grandfather’s only brother, John but have had no luck searching through Ancestry. I am not currently a member but have been in the past.

John Hobbis and Martha Rowles married in Brightwaltham on Oct 20, 1857
    They had five children - John Rowles H born 27 July 1858,
    Jethro William H born19 Jan, 1860,
    Mary Ann H born 24 June 1861,
    Elizabeth H. born 14 Jan 1863 and
    Sophia H, born 18 Aug, 1864.
    Martha died in 1865, and John died March 5, 1871. The five children are now orphans.

The girls go live with their mother’s older sister in Rochester and I can trace them through the census and marriage into the 20th century.

I found the two boys at a school in Wantage in 1871 RG10/1267 Folio 21 Page 33. That is I am assuming the entries are the two brothers. One is listed as Joseph. I cannot find either one in 1881 although there is a William Hobbes boarding with George Barnham RG11 1298-105 page 34 with correct birth year and location. I am descended from Jethro William and can trace him through the census and emigrating to Canada.
    What happened to John Rowles Hobbis? I can find no trace of him until his death 28 March 1937 (found the old fashion way lugging large books at St. Catherine’s House) at a mental hospital in Stone, outside of Aylesbury.. His occupation is listed as bank clerk. Family stories passed down say that he went to University. I was wondering if you skilled searchers could add a bit of meat to the few bones of information I have for John Rowles Hobbis. Thank you.
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

I have them in 1861 in Wantage Berkshire

Elizabeth Shepherd head w 55 Farmer 96 acres
    John Hobbis son farmer
    Martha d-i-l
    John Rowles grandson 2
    Jethro William grandson 1
    and a couple of servants, one is Mary Shepherd age 19, is she one of yours?

RG9/736 Folio 79 Page 23

I will see if I can find them later than that.
    Christine
    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
    Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Yes that is the family.
      Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

No, I can't find him after the one at school in 1871, and I even tried searching just on christian name, year and district!

There are cleaverer people than me though, they may find him for you!

PS, as a Kiwi when I saw the name John Rowles I just wanted to break into a chorus of "Cheryl Moana Marie"...... If that means anything to anyone else!
        Christine
        Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
        Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Thank you for your effort.
          Last edited by Nelde; 08-11-08, 02:32.
          Donelda

Comment

Having read the etiquette for posting questions I know that I am supposed to stay close at hand in case of questions. So if I don't answer it is because my time zone (GMT -8) will put me in bed when those at GMT-0 may be answering. I will check in again tomorrow morning.
            Donelda

Comment

Don't worry too much if you are not around, we are used to people in all different time zones and make allowances for that! When the UK based wizz kids are up and on a roll with searching they can often turn up possibilities faster than you have time to blink, so it often does pay to hang around for a while at those sort of times if you can. Otherwise there are often goodies waiting when you get up in the morning.

Have a good night!
              Christine
              Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Originally posted by Nelde View Post

The girls go live with their mother’s older sister in Rochester and I can trace them through the census and marriage into the 20th century.

Hello

And welcome to the site!

If they have any BMD events in the Rochester area, you may find it worthwhile trawling: Cityark - Home

At the moment, it doesn't seem to be working. It must be quite a problem, because I contacted them about a week ago, and they were working to solve the problem even then!

Once it's up and running, you'll find that they have (or are in the process of uploading) parish register images for all the CofE churches in the Medway area. I have put together a suggested approach to finding images - and I have notes of the date-ranges for quite a lot of individual images. They haven't been indexed by person-name, and are identified only by church, event, and span of dates covering a lot of images. Let me know if I can help you.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Nelde View Post
                  What happened to John Rowles Hobbis? I can find no trace of him until his death 28 March 1937 (found the old fashion way lugging large books at St. Catherine’s House) at a mental hospital in Stone, outside of Aylesbury.
                  Just to say my sister worked there for a time about 20 years ago (she's a psychiatrist). It's now a posh housing estate.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi and welcome to FTF.

I've found your John R Hobbis in 1891:

RG12; Piece: 1144; Folio 148; Page 18

I'm afraid he was already in the Asylum in Stone at this date. I haven't tried any other censuses yet. His occupation is Clerk in Bank.

Comment

He is still there in 1901
                      RG13; Piece: 1354; Folio: 149; Page: 23.
                      transcribed as John R Hobbie
                      Elaine

Comment

1901:

RG13; Piece: 1354; Folio: 149; Page: 23

(listed as John R Hobbie.)

Comment

I can't find him in 1881 yet.

This has nothing to do with what you were asking, but just in case you haven't seen it and need to!:

13th Dec 1890.jpg

(from The Times online digital archive 13th Dec 1890)

Comment

Thank you this ------------- much. ;)
                            well even more. this --------------------------------------------much
                            I will make a note in my family tree maker and next time I subscribe to ancestry I will print it out.
                            Jethro was the black sheep. I wonder what John suffered from. He died of artherxxxxosis
                            Donelda

Comment

A few years ago I was able to go on the Times site and found this wedding announcement. Also think she travelled to Bombay aboard the Nubia October 25, 1890. The Times was a great source of info. The two sisters advertised their hatchings and matchings.
                              Donelda

Comment

He died of artherxxxxosis
                                Atherosclerosis???

Comment

I was so excited to get your replies that I did not bother to look in FTM for the correct spelling arterio scleriosis

and thank you both for the 1901 find. Now I can ask for a subscription to ancestry for xmas
                                  Donelda

Comment

Now I can ask for a subscription to ancestry for xmas
                                    :D

Comment

Working...
                                    X