Not found in censuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not found in censuses

I'm hoping someone else will be able to help me spot Richard STANBURY, mariner, who I can't find in a single census.

He died Mar 1861 in Poplar (just before the census, naturally); his death cert (registered by his m-i-l) has him a master mariner age 37, giving a birth date of about 1824. This (sort of) ties in with a possible baptism in the IGI in 1826 in Stepney.

He married Margaret Anderson 2 Apr 1855 in Bromley St Leonard, Middlesex. He's a mariner, witnesses George Sabeston (his bride's neighbour) and Mary Ann Stanbury. Father is Richard Stanbury deceased (no occupation).

No trace of him in 1851, and in 1841 all I can find is a 15-year old with the right name in the Channel Islands who gives his place of birth as England, but no occupation of course.

There's a Mary Ann Stanbury in the Bethnal Green workhouse in 1841 census the right age to be his sister but LMA say the workhouse records that far back have not survived.

I have a picture of Richard and I'd love to fill in some background info, but he just seems to slip away all the time! Can anyone spot him in 1841 / 1851?

The trouble is, he may well have been away at sea for the 1851 census so he may not be listed at all.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

That's what I'm afraid of, although the family story is that his boat travelled up and down the east coast from London to Scotland.

Comment

Hi Lindsay

If you think he may have been in the Channel Islands, you could try the Jersey Heritage Trust Archives - WWW OPAC ( If you search by name, you have to put the surname first)
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Joan! Off to check that site now...

Comment

With a birth date of approx 1824, the likelihood is that Richard appears in the Board of Trade records, held at Kew.

These ought to give a place of birth and date of birth, which would help you to confirm whether the IGI reference you have found is the right one

Detecting your browser settings
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
            X