WW1 service records updated on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 service records updated on Ancestry

They have updated so now have surnames A-N in the "Service Records". Sorry for anyone looking for O onwards!
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

LOL - well here's the first page of the only one of mine to show up:

Credit where it's due he didn't desert until Armistice
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Off to look for my M's.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for that, Ann.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I've found my great-grandmother's cousin on there, who joined up in 1916 at the age of 35 (married with 2 young children) and was sent out to France May 1917, killed in action July 1917. His widow died in Feb 1919.

Looks as if all his valuables were pinched as there is a letter from his widow saying they are missing from the stuff that was sent back to her.
          Last edited by KiteRunner; 07-11-08, 20:30.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks very much for that -- hope I find someone as every bit helps.
            herky
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I am still waiting for the S's :(
              Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn The Forest Fan View Post
                I am still waiting for the S's :(

Me too. Frustrating isn't it!

Comment

But I have just found hubby's g grandfather's records! He was discharged in 1919 after losing his little fingers in an explosion the same year. Odd that he survived the actual war & got injured in peace time
                  Lynn

Comment

I have searched and cannot find my Gt Grandfather's records.

Arthur Charles Franklin
                    Born Sept 1882 in Cosford Suffolk
                    Married Grace Edith Grayston in March Qtr 1901 BMD Ipswich Mar 4a, 1067.
                    All children born after 1901 are registered in West ham district of London/Essex

He died 11 Apr 1917 in Arras
                    Record is on CWGC
                    Regiment Kings Royal Rifles Number R/27748

There is his medal card, but no sign of his enlistment
                    Keep getting an Arthur Charles in Hackney of about the same age, but when you look at the enlistment papers thay are dated 23rd Jan 1917, so not him (died by then)

Anyone got any ideas?

Could not even find him on 1901 census

Researching:
                    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I found one of mine a while ago, hairdresser before he joined up, finally discharged on medical grounds after losing two fingers, suffering varicose veins and a carbuncle neck(???).

Heaven knows how he managed to continue as a hairdresser after that lot but he did.
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Trevor, a lot of the records were lost in a fire in WW2, so your ancestor's might have been among them.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Just my luck
                          He did not fill in the 1901 census
                          {EDIT: Just found him on 1901 census, at last, At home of his in-laws}

And his war records were burnt
                          Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 07-11-08, 23:43.

Researching:
                          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                            Trevor, a lot of the records were lost in a fire in WW2, so your ancestor's might have been among them.

That would explain where my Jackson went then.
                            Kit

Comment

Working...
                            X