Help needed please with RE Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed please with RE Unit

Can anyone identify this Royal Engineer's regiment please?

It is shown on my grandfathers release papers as follows:

Unit, Regt. or Corps 655 A.W Coy R.E

I guess the unit is 655, but I don't know what A.W Coy means. I've googled it and have read lots of pages on the Royal Engineers but have come up with nothing.

Grandad was a bricklayer if that has anything to do with it?!!
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Apart from saying that the A W is an abbreviation for the type of work that this Company of the RE did, I can't add any suggestions. It's 655 Company.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Could be Artisan Works Company
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
        Apart from saying that the A W is an abbreviation for the type of work that this Company of the RE did, I can't add any suggestions. It's 655 Company.
        UJ does it say what type of work ? Probably not, I'm not getting very lucky with this one.

thank you for looking
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Hi Jules, it could be

655 UNIT
          A W Company
          Royal Engineers

Royal Engineers Museum and Library official web site - Welcome (Index and Home) page may be able to help

regards Chris

Comment

Is Artisans Work Company, see here:

Percy Brown's Account

Comment

Have you had a look at the Great War Forum

Great War Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

they have lots of info, and if you register, you can ask questions...they are very knowledgable & very helpful.
              ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Working...
              X