X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone tell me this occupation?

Hi

can you tell me what the occupation says on the head of household

1871 England Census Detail: Class: RG10; Piece: 2900; Folio: 91; Page: 6; GSU roll: 836398.

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

for which family?
    Elaine

Comment

The most difficult one looks like Check Weighman at Colliery - is that the one?
      Elaine

Comment

Erm ..........what's their name?

Comment

Check-weighman at colliery?

Most of the others are coal miners! (plus one potter!)

Comment

ha ha ha!! that would have helped. Sorry its Benjamin Banner. The check-weighman one. Thanks very much for that
            Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Would there have been some kind of trade union for miners? He seemed to have quite a responsible job, so was wondering if there would be any kind of employment records
              Robyne

Comment

There are various mining museums dotted around. I don't know of one for Derbyshire. Until nationalisation each colliery was owned by a different company. I would suggest Derbyshire Records Office as your first port of call. There were several collieries in the Swadlincote area.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

This website is a good starting point.
                  The Coal Mining History Resource Centre   - Maps, Poems and Searchable Databases for Mining in the UK
                  Phil
                  historyhouse.co.uk
                  Essex - family and local history.

Comment

thanks so much for that, its a really interesting read
                    Robyne

Comment

Working...
                    X