Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just trying to set up Skype on our computers at home.
    Sorted the account and trying to do the test phone call - using headphones.

Works perfectly OK on my laptop but OH having problems with desktop.
    When he plugs the speakers into the headphone & microphone socket on the front of the computer it doesn't work - it's not picking up the sound of his voice and the test call sound is coming through the computer. However, if he disconnects his speakers from the system and plugs the headset into the back of the tower then all is well.

Leaving the speakers unplugged and trying the headphones in the front of the machine again still doesn't work - does this sound as if there is a fault with the plugs at the front of the computer or do we need to tweak any settings so that the front plugs can be used?
    Elaine

Elaine might depend on the sound system that you use on computer isnt there way to alter it know I have problems with mine that doesnt come out of speakers but only though ear phones ;;;but dont think its skype problem
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Elaine,
      I'm working on memory from this - OH often use to have problems with the speakers/sound - then we found that when we went into the settings on Skype the settings had changed. We had to go into the Tools Options and Settings and change the settings over to the right sound for the mike.
      We now use a Philips Skype VOIP phone and it is much easier than the mike!
      Hope this of some help.
      Marion
      There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Mines a NVIDA sp driver and went when they did one of there upgrades ;;;dont know what your sound card thingy is ;;;

Comment

Thanks for your comments - will pass them on to OH so he can have a fiddle on the desktop.

Quite scary - was just adding some phone numbers into the account, via the laptop - and up pops my integral web camera with a piccie of me. Need to disable that - can't have people spying on me when I am slobbing around!
          Elaine

Comment

Elaine go into tools options and turn off web cam that way it only comes on if you do the same again to someone other than that mine has place under picture where you can turn it of but think that only comes into play when you are using webcam already ;;

Comment

We think we have worked out why OH cannot use the headset when he plugs it into the microphone and headphone sockets on the front of his computer. We have just taken the cover off and the leads from those two sockets are just dangling loose inside the case and don't seem to be plugged into anything!
              Happy days!
              Elaine

Comment

Well that's a pretty good reason for it not to work I suppose!
                The webcam can be controlled by either ticking or unticking "start webcam when call is started" under the Video section in Options.
                We've had Skype for over 2 years now - about six months ago we opted for "Skype In" and paid about $45 - which means all calls through Skype to Australian numbers are free (besides the fact they are free to any other Skype user) - our phone bill has been cut in half - it's lovely!!! Can spend more money on certficates that way!!:D
                Marion
                There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Elaine

If you look up the code number of your motherboard on the makers site
                  It will show you where these two socket cables need to be plugged onto it so they work

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks for the advice Trevor but we know "a man who can" - saves OH connecting them to the wrong slot!
                    Elaine

Comment

Working...
                    X