Please could some help me warrant for arrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please could some help me warrant for arrest

Hi I wonder if some one could help me I have been to huntingdonshire archives today and found a warrant for arrest in 1822
    Because a single woman had declared herself to be with child and the siad child is likely to be born a bastard
    What i want to know is why there was an arrest warrant
    they did eventually marry in 1824

Thanks Tracy
    Twinklestar

Did a quick Google search - is this an arrest warrant for Philip Mollady, hatter of Huntingdon, to maintain the bastard son (born in Stilton) of Sarah Gabril, now the wife of Endersley Farey (see also 2696/13/53) ? (2 Mar 1822)

Sounds like a claim for maintenance was not being paid ?

If not ............
    Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

Comment

Simon thanks so much i will take a look
      Tracy
      Twinklestar

Comment

Don't know what it means, Tracy but hope you had a good time at Huntingdon, anyway!

Anne

Comment

Tracy

Bastardy was a crime,punishable by imprisonment, that's why a warrant for her arrest was issued - she was obviouslybeing non-cooperative with the Parish authorities.

Or was it for the father's arrest? If so, ditto!

OC
          Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 06-11-08, 22:26. Reason: sp

Comment

Hi OC sorry its taken me so long to reply
            thankyou so much for the info yes it was a warrant for his arrest
            So because he was the said father am i right in thinking that the parish would have had to pay for the child if the father was not found if he was arrested do you know what might have happened to him? soory you answered this last question just re read your post
            Thanks again for the help
            Tracy
            Twinklestar

Comment

anne I had a great time in huntingdonshire archives the stafff were so helpful

Simon the people im talking of is Henry wood and Sarah Ruff

Tracy
              Twinklestar

Comment

Tracy

Once arrested, the Parish authorities would "suggest" he married the mother and if he still refused, off to jail with him.

However, he could deny paternity in which case there would be an examination of the mother, a verbal one, and then probably a hearing either in the church court or the manorial court, to decide who was telling the truth.

It is surprising (to me) how few men actually stuck to their guns when denying paternity. Most usually married the mother, unless they were already married in which case they went to prison.

If the woman was thought to be lying, she went to prison instead. However, they had realised by the early 1800s that it was a bit pointless sending anyone to prison as it meant the child was still on the parish and it became a case of chasing the man to make him pay up.

OC

OC

Comment

Oc thanks so much that makes it so much clearer now he did end up amrrying her and they had 13 children so he must have owned up
                  Thanks agin for all in info
                  Tracy
                  Twinklestar

Comment

This was also on the same website as I had found previously :

Warrant to arrest Henry Woods, baker of Stilton, a bachelor and putative father of the bastard child of Sarah Ruff of Stilton

4 Jun 1822
                    Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

Comment

Hi Simon,
                      Could you let us know what the site is. May be very useful.
                      If it's to be, it's up to me.
                      Searching for:
                      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

It was part of the Cambridge County Council archive

Search Catalogue

Let me know if you need a different path.
                        Simon

Comment

Many thanks for that link, Simon.
                          Do you know of any other sites for other counties.
                          Husband is searching for a missing gt. grandfather in Oxfordshire.
                          Searching for:
                          English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Your best starting point is The Wiki - see dropdown menu above.

Oxfordshire - Family Tree Forum

You might be lucky putting a search in Google but otherwise it is just a matter of searching the usual places and the Wiki can help point you in the right direction.

Otherwise put details of who you are looking for on here and you will find there are a lot of people willing to help with brick walls.
                            Simon

Comment

Thanks Simon.
                              Will do.
                              Searching for:

Comment

Working...
                              X