Any thoughts what date this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts what date this is?

Middlesex: - Sessions Records, Indictments, Coroners' Inquests-Post-Mortem and Recognizances, vol. 1
    Additional Baptisms.
    Middlesex Sessions' Rolls:--
    Middlesex Alehouses temp. Edward 6th.
    County: Middlesex
    23 Apr , 36 Elizabeth.--True Bill, that John Browne, Robert Ambrose, William Standley, Francis Brewerton and John Weekes, all late of London yomen, at Howneslowe in the parish of Heston co. Midd. were seen and found in the consort or society of vagabonds commonly called Egipcians, and that the same John &c. call themselves Egipcians, and that thus they feloniously did, continued and remained there and elsewhere in the same county for the space of a month, from 23 Apr 36 Eliz. to 24 May then next following.--John Browne and Robert Ambrose were at large; William Standley, Francis Brewerton and John Weekes put themselves 'Guilty,' and were sentenced to be hung. G. D. R., 21 Jun , 36 Eliz.

36 Elizabeth. Was that the 36th year of her reign?
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

I'd imagine so. She came to the throne 1558, so 1594?

Comment

Thanks Richard. I wonder what the Edward 6th. means? As in it's on the same page.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I have a link to a Regnal year calculator in my browser's Bookmarks.

HTH -

Tim
        "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Many thanks for the link Tim.
          Have you any thoughts on why it has Edward 6 as well as Eliz 36.
          Searching for:

Comment

"36 Eliz" was the format used for official records for a long time -- statutes are cited that way, for instance.

Early Canadian statutes are also cited that way -- "25 Vic. Cap" (chapter) such-and such.

Google found this on a quickie search:

Middlesex Sessions Rolls - 1594 | British History Online
            36 Eliz. between the hours eleven and twelve p.m., ...

so 1594 seems right.

That's a handy calculator (I sometimes have to use those old statutes for work), and I've bookmarked it now too, thanks!

Comment

Hi
              I think that this is referring back to a "law" re Middlesex Alehouses that was passed in the reign of Edward V1, half brother of Elizabeth 1st.
              Moggie

Comment

Many thanks Moggie.
                This info is all new to me and quite fascinating.
                Searching for:

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                  I think that this is referring back to a "law" re Middlesex Alehouses that was passed in the reign of Edward V1, half brother of Elizabeth 1st.
                  Moggie
                  Moggie -

That sounds like a plausible explanation - do you know if there was such a law passed during Edward VI's reign, or is that just a hypothesis at the moment?

Another possibility I thought of was that perhaps the record in question was filed in a bundle of Session records (dealing with Middlesex alehouses) that dated back to Edward's time and the end date (in calendar or regnal years) of the collection was simply not mentioned in the description.

That's just speculation on my part - perhaps the archive or records office that holds these records could answer Jeanie's question.

Tim
                  "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Hi Tim
                    Have just googled and found that we have some information about the Alehouse Act in the Wiki
                    Moggie

Court Sessions and Victuallers' Licences - Family Tree Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X