Where did Matron go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did Matron go?

In 1871 widowed Elizabeth Maria Boulter (born Shorne Kent c1827) was the House Matron at Withington Workhouse in Chorlton.
    Her 3 sons were also there:
    Philip Pullyn Boulter (an engineer’s clerk) Walter Ernest Boulter & Peter Boulter.

By 1881 Philip had died, Walter Ernest had become a physician and surgeon and was the assistant medical superintendent at the Infirmary of the Woolwich Union Workhouse at Plumstead, and Peter was the storekeeper at Withington Workhouse.
    Walter Ernest and Peter remained in their respective posts through 1891 & 1901.

Please can anyone find their mother, Elizabeth Maria, in census post 1871, or suggest a possible death or remarriage?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Sorry Jay

I've had a good rootle around and come up with nothing.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for looking, Nell - much appreciated

I have loads of unfinished business.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

me too sorry what was her maiden name ???? as I have a couple who when they remarried used their maiden names ???

Comment

Thanks for looking, Val.
          She was Elizabeth Maria Nickson and she married Philip Pullyn Boulter in 1854.
          They took up the posts of Master & Matron at Bleane workhouse (Kent) where they had 5 children.
          They were still in post in 1861 and then moved (I think ) to Norwich Workhouse, where Philip died in 1862.
          They were literate and numerate, which is why it is aggravating that Elizabeth "disappears".
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've tried looking at all Elizabeths born in Shorne and also at alternative spelling Bolter, but not got very far.

I think she's like that wretched woman Antonetta Browning, in my tree.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for looking Nell -
              Reckon we've all got them. She'll just have to go back on the pile again.

They're a parallel line to my main branch, but of Quaker origins and much more colourful than my lot, who were all ag labs.
              It's interesting how they carved out a niche for themselves in the Workhouse system and that one of the sons got to be a doctor and surgeon.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
              X