William J Young of Bedminster, Bristol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William J Young of Bedminster, Bristol

I am a new member of FTF, but have some 2 years experience of Family History research.

I am helping a friend to trace her roots and with a couple of hours serious effort I have got back to about 1720 on her maternal female line. However, I have hit the proverbial 'brick wall' on the maternal male line.

The maternal grandfather was Walter James Young, born in Bedminster in Quarter 2, 1871. He married Edith Winter in Q3/1891 in Bedminster and they appear in the 1901 Census with a tribe of 5 children. He states he occupation as 'House Painter'.

I have trawled the census data for 1881 & 1891 but cannot find him anywhere. I have a hunch that he could be a son of George H Young and Clara of Bedminster, but I have no solid evidence for this conclusion. I would have expected Walter to be with his parents in 1881 and to have possibly flown the nest by 1891.

Any suggestions, other than the obvious one of acquiring his marriage cert., would be very welcome.

Regards,

John Bennett

Hi John, welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if I'm looking for Walter or William?
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

I haven't yet found William/Walter but I have found George H Young and Clara L Young.
      1881 census. RG11 2458.
      children Ada 5, Clara 10, Florence 8, George 12, and Robert 4. All born in Bristol but living in Bedminster. Could this be the family?
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Just found William James Young on 1881 census. RG11 2452. Age 9. bn abt 1872
        Father George occ painter. Mother Phillis.
        Children all born Bedminster.
        Jules

Comment

Originally posted by JulesSmith View Post
          Just found William James Young on 1881 census. RG11 2452. Age 9. bn abt 1872
          Father George occ painter. Mother Phillis.
          Children all born Bedminster.
          I think William is actually Walter. All the chidren's names are abbreviated. His is transcribed as Wm, but I think on the image it is Wr.

In 1891, he's transcribed as James.
          Last edited by Orangeblossom; 06-11-08, 12:34.
          Tracy

Comment

Jules - You've hit the Jackpot, and I agree with Tracy, the abbreviation is Wr, not Wm.. Thse fact that the father and another son are both painters would seem to be further confirmation.

This is a perfect example of careless enumeration plus poor transcription! How could anyone be expected to deduce the name of the children from initials only. I shall leave a comment on the Ancestry website.

Thank you both for your assistance which should enable to progress further.

Regards,

John Bennett

Comment

Working...
            X