Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Data on Ancestry - Nat War Roll

Hi,
    Just noticed that there is new data on Ancestry - The National Roll of the Great War.
    For now it only covers some areas in England but may be of use to some. Quite a bit of detail about individuals.
    Sorry if this is old news.
    herky
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

No, it's new news! Thanks for that, Herky. It is available on other sites already but it's great that ancestry have it too. Though I don't think any of my rellies are in it. But you never know...
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It looks as though most people are listed with initials plus surname rather than full first name(s), so probably best to search on surname only. Or maybe better to browse through as the search seems a bit funny at the moment (perhaps it's just if you use wildcards?)
      KiteRunner

Comment

I've just had a look and it seems to be limited to the big cities. Some smaller communities compiled their own "Rolls of Honour" and I know that the Southend one is available in book form from the library so it might be worth checking the Library catalogues in the areas that your WW1 military ancestors came from.
        Sue

Comment

The description confirms that it only covers certain areas:

"This database contains 11 volumes of The National Roll of the Great War as well as the Birmingham Roll of Honour.

The National Roll of the Great War is a 14 volume series of short biographical sketches of British soldiers who served, including some who died, in World War I. The volumes are arranged geographically according to where the soldier was from.

The volumes contained in this database cover the following areas:

Birmingham
          Leeds
          London
          Luton and District
          Manchester
          Portsmouth
          Salford
          Southampton

The three volumes that are not included in this database cover the areas of Bradford, Bedford, Northampton, and more of London.

Entries in The National Roll of the Great War were compiled by subscription. Information for the entries was generally submitted by family members or the soldiers themselves. Information provided was not verified and therefore, may or may not be accurate.

The collection does not cover the whole of the country, and even for the areas it does cover, is not comprehensive."
          Sarah

Comment

Having played around with it some more, the search is weird even when you aren't using wildcards. If you put in a surname which is also a place name (as so many are), it looks as if it finds entries for that place as well as that surname, even though you would think it was very easy to index on surname since each entry starts with the surname in larger type than the rest of the entry. Oh well, maybe OCR doesn't work that way yet...
            KiteRunner

Comment

I agree Kate - I was trawling through for hours last night, and the whole thing completely confused me. It was a nightmare! I was looking for at least three in the London area, and couldn't find one - I didn't realise that the relative's family actually had to subscribe. My lot were obviously a tight-fisted lot with not a lot of cash to throw around. What a pity as I know my Grandfather was a colourful chap, a serviceman through and through, and spent the 1st WW in Ypres twice, Mons, Iraq & India/Pakistan. Despite being hospitalised on more than one occasion during that time, he escaped relatively unscathed. He never talked about the War though, not surprisingly......

Chris

Comment

Have found 2 for my study but it won't let me copy and paste.
                The meanies!!
                If it's to be, it's up to me.
                Searching for:
                English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Have you tried saving the page?
                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

What sort of things does it tell you? Will it be any different to pension/service records?

Comment

I had a little look for Stowell in London & it has brought up loads, but when you go into the record, they are nothing like. I tried using just Stowell & it still brought up loads, but no Stowells. Is there a better way to search?
                      Lynn

Comment

I tried finding the beginning of each section and then guessing how many pages forward to browse to find the name I wanted, but it's quite difficult that way too. Maybe we can try doing a free search on another site to see if a name is there, and then use the info from that search to plug back into ancestry?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

i googled a name and found one of oh ancesters on it and it even shoew the grave in london brenda xxx

Comment

The ancestry search for this database is definitely messed up. If I put in an initial and surname which I know is there, it always comes up with no matches found. But if you put in surname only, it comes up with too many matches and a lot of those are for completely different surnames. I was hoping that you could do a free search for a surname on another site which has this database, get a list of the sets of initials for that surname and then feed the initials back into the ancestry search, but that won't work since it seems that ancestry doesn't recognise the initials properly.

I even tried looking at the "search tips", but it was just a general page not specific to this database.

Do you think it's worth contacting ancestry about it? I think I will send them a message but I don't know if they are likely to reply with anything useful.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                            X