Aus/NZ World War 1 question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aus/NZ World War 1 question.

Not sure if this is really the best place for this, but here goes.

I've asked it before, but as there are a lot of new members, thought someone may be able to shed light....

My grandfather was an ANZAC from New Zealand. He was a member of the NZ Army band and a stretcher bearer. I have his records.

He was also one of the most generous people I've ever met...would give the shirt off his back. He gave to many charities of different kinds.

However, to his dying day, he would never give to the Red Cross. I never asked why.....

Some time ago I was listening to an interview with the daughter of an Australian ANZAC who said exactly the same thing. She also had no idea why.

Now.....I've come across a grandson of an Australian ANZAC who tells me the same thing. Once again, no idea why.

Anyone have any ideas why this anti Red Cross feeling from these soldiers??

No idea but I'd love to know the answer.

Were the Red Cross involved in the war?
    Kit

Comment

Hi Kit...........The Red Cross was involved in WW1. I'm sure grandfather, as a stretcher bearer, had contact with them.

He wasn't a person who would blame a whole group for the actions of one person, so if one person had crossed him, that wouldn't be it.

Also doesn't explain the others.

Comment

I'm not blaming one person Libby. I'm just wondering if Red Cross policies or practicies during the war were disliked by soldiers or were good in theory and not practice. As your Grandfather was a stretcher bearer I'm sure he would have had a lot to do with the Red Cross.
        Kit

Comment

Kit......I didn't think you were blaming anyone.....sorry, if i gave that impression.

I'm not sure what their practices were during WW1...presumed much the same as during wars now???

I just have no idea...and finding three people with similar experiences made me wonder more.

Comment

Although it probably praises the organisation, perhaps this book may hint at any criticism. It may be worth tracking down a copy.

Look what you started Henry! : a history of the Australian Red Cross 1914-1991 / Leon Stubbings | National Library of Australia
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks Phil...........

By the way............I've been spending an awful lot of time on your Essex site. It's great to have somewhere to get help with Essex.

Comment

Thanks, pleased to read that it's been of help.
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Can't help with the Red Cross question at the moment but thanks for flagging up Keldon's Essex site. I had never seen that before.

OH's family hails from Finchingfield, Wickham Bishops, Witham and Braintree - Gamekeeper, Farm Bailiff and a variety of others.

I will ask my Australian friend if she's any clue on the Red Cross problem she has studied the Australian involvement in WWI a lot maybe she'll know what it is that caused this animosity towards them.

Comment

Thanks Maggie...

My Essex lot are from Chignal Smealy and Mashbury with a couple from Gt Waltham.

Comment

Working...
                    X