Marriage pre 1837 help, George Knight Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage pre 1837 help, George Knight Price

I had one of those excellent days we get now and again yesterday after finding my 3rd Great Grandfather who lived from 1819 to 1899 and lots of relatives.
    The only problem I can't seem to sort out is the surname of his wife. I have a date of death but a cert will not help. Wonder if anyone can assist? Here is what I have.

George Knight Price B abt 1809, (occ butcher) in Westminster.... he married
    Jemima ??? B abt 1814 in Walthamstow.

First child Hannah Price B abt 1831 in Westminster
    Ann Price 1833
    Eliza Price 1835
    George Price 1837 Putney
    Joseph Price 1840 Putney
    and 6 others

I looked at Pallots for an hour last night... can anyone see the marriage?
    I looked for Christenings as well hoping for a lead..I found nothing.
    Mind you, I asked for help last night to read an occupation of a possible PRICE hoping it would be a butcher, alas not. But within 6 minutes someone had found him! My skills are limited...Took me over an hour :o serves me right for not returning to the thread sooner I would have saved lots of time.
    John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

You said he was born in Westminster....I just wondered about this (I was looking for a marriage not a bap! lol) Of course, lambeth is the wrong side of the river, but the name and date are good!!

GEORGE KNIGHT PRICE
    Event(s):
    Birth:
    Christening: 03 SEP 1809 Saint Mary, Lambeth, Surrey, England
    Parents:
    Father: JOSEPH PRICE Mother: HANNAH ANN
    Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record.

Comment

Wow.... thats my man! I searched for ages last night for that as well. I am not very good on locations in London. Well done... please don't stop lol
      John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

I think one of the things you have to be careful about is that there are two George & Jemima Price families in roughly the same sort of area -as we found out yesterday when looking at the occupation query.

You really need to get a birth certificate of one of their children which will give you the mother's maiden name, then look for the appropriate marriage using that.
        Elaine

Comment

Yes Elaine, you are right... I printed the other family out to ensure I don't mess up. I will search and get a GRO ref for one of them as you say I do need a cert.
          John

Comment

Is this one of their children?

Births Sep 1840
            Price Joseph Wandsworth 4 472

Aged 10 months in June 1841. They were living in Putney, which is Wandsworth District, for the 1841 census.

Comment

From the IGI
              ELIZA JANE PRICE
              Christening: 05 JUL 1835 Barnes, Surrey, England
              Parents: GEORGE KNIGHT PRICE / ANN

Was Jemima a 2nd wife - or are Ann and Jemima the same person? .. or is it the wrong family altogether!

Can't see any other christenings for the other children
              Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 05-11-08, 14:13.
              Elaine

Comment

I have Joesph Price aged 4 months on the 1841 census in front of me... yes thats one of the children b Putney. I don't have the birth Sept 1840 is it him do you thinK?
                John

Comment

If he was 4 month old on the 1841 census then you would expect the birth registration to be 1841 1st quarter.
                  Elaine

Comment

Visit to specsavers needed I think!
                    He was 10 months old on the 1841 census so the registration that Merry has given looks good.
                    Elaine

Comment

George Knight Price was with Jemima all of his life, she died aged 85 and he was 90. The show consistantly in all census up to 1891. So safe to say he married once.... they had 10 children in total...

George Knight Price is the only one I have ever found... Eliza was born abt 1835 according to census. Wonder if Ann and Jemima are the same person or transcript error?
                      John

Comment

Well there are a couple of George Knight marriages to a Jemima in 1838 & 1839 - St Pancras and Marylebone.

Best get one of the children's birth certs first and then worry about it later!
                        Elaine

Comment

Goodness me... I could have my first children born outside marriage! Hope my 6 hour old FTM 2009 can cope lol.
                          Yes, a child birth cert is the way forward.
                          My son just asked me what I was looking for... told him Jemima's surname. He replied... Puddleduck. BRB..... 'slap!!'
                          John

Comment

These entries all show the same parents, Joseph and Hannah Ann

1. JOSEPH EDWARD PRICE - International Genealogical Index

2. JOSEPH EDWARD PRICE - International Genealogical Index
                            Gender: Male Christening: 18 AUG 1811 Saint Mary, Lambeth, Surrey, England

3. WILLIAM PRICE - International Genealogical Index
                            Gender: Male Christening: 27 DEC 1807 Saint Mary, Lambeth, Surrey, England

4. GEORGE KNIGHT PRICE - International Genealogical Index
                            Gender: Male Christening: 03 SEP 1809 Saint Mary, Lambeth, Surrey, England

Oops and this one:

3. THOMAS PRICE - International Genealogical Index

4. THOMAS PRICE - International Genealogical Index
                            Gender: Male Christening: 28 MAR 1813 Saint Mary, Lambeth, Surrey, England

Comment

Wow Joseph Price b abt 1784 is (according to my new FTM2009) is my 4th Great Grandfather. He married Hannah Ann Newall b abt 1788 on 29 Jan 1805 at St Leonards, Shoreditch (I presume London)
                              The only child I had was George Knight Price.... my tree is exploding! My dear old mother Muriel Price would be wetting herself god bless her. This is soooo good she worked on this tree for 10 years and never could find his children or brothers. Its all handwritten on charts, books and fag packets.
                              Huge thanks to all of you..... I have just order the birth cert for Joesph Price.
                              John

Comment

Possible death for brother:

Name: Joseph Edward Price
                                Estimated Birth Year: abt 1812
                                Year of Registration: 1894
                                Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
                                Age at Death: 82
                                District: Lambeth
                                County: Greater London, London, Surrey
                                Volume: 1d
                                Page: 275

So now we know he should be on six censuses!!! The other two would be harder to be sure about because they don't have middle names.

Comment

Interestingly, Joseph says Westminster too for place of birth. Here he is in 1891:

RG12; Piece: 400; Folio 229; Page 23

Comment

1881:

RG11; Piece: 606; Folio: 112; Page: 54

Comment

1871:

RG10; Piece: 674; Folio: 96; Page: 26

Comment

1861:

RG9; Piece: 356; Folio: 116; Page: 40

1851 Joseph is visiting so not with Jane:

HO107; Piece: 1573; Folio: 707; Page: 1

Comment

Working...
                                        X