Irish Births

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Births

What's the best site to look on for Irish births please?

What years are you interested in? Which Irish Counties and Diocese? Are they Protestant or Catholic? Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland?

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 05-11-08, 11:31.

Comment

I'd love to know this too so shall watch with interest, mine is in Cork I believe

Comment

It would be easier to answer when we know where and when, but in general I would say try the IGI first and then Irish Family History Foundation.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          I'd love to know this too so shall watch with interest, mine is in Cork I believe
          trevors is cork too he was a rc brenda xxx

Comment

I know the rough year of birth and her fathers name how would I go about getting her birth cert ???

Comment

Depends whether it is before or after the start of civil registration in Ireland, which was 1864 for births.
              KiteRunner

Comment

its about 1895 Kite

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  Me too mines in Limerick.
                  Rosi

We are the famous CFC

Comment

Well, then, have a look on the Irish Family History Foundation site and see if it is on there. If not, then you would probably need to go to an LDS Family History Centre which has the Irish GRO indexes available on microfilm and get the references to order it from the Irish GRO.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

For Cork there is plenty online but may or may not be what you want. I have twenty websites for Cork that I use.

Here are a few of them:

Census

Ships

County Cork, Ireland

Tithes

Cork Genealogist

Just google Cork+Family History or Genealogy and you will get many sites

Pre 1864 the IGI for RC is of very little use

You might also like to join the Cork Genealogical Society where you can purchase past journals and CD's and get some help on searching out those Cork ancestors. They are now accessible by e mail and send interesting bits of news on different websites around the Cork area with their newsletters.

Cork Genealogical Society

If the BMD are after 1864 then you can purhase online through Roscommon

Irish Records

The following will give you an idea of what BMD you can get in Ireland

General Register Office of Ireland: Checklist of Records

For Rebublic of Ireland BMD post 1864 use Roscommon website below:

Last edited by Janet; 05-11-08, 14:57.

Comment

thanks for all those links Janet am adding them to my favourites, thats an idea Kite I may do that.

Comment

does republic of ireland have a bmd site like we have here in england, like they have on ancestry uk. i have 4 grandparents and 3 of them are from ireland, i have only been able to trace the side of my english grandparent and then it turns out that her fathers father is irish too, just my luck
                          thanks

Comment

The GRO Ireland site is the one that Janet posted the link to but they don't have online indexes - you can go to an LDS Centre which has the Irish GRO indexes on microfilm though they may not be complete, or you can go to Ireland to look - or if you're lucky, you might find it on the Irish Family History Foundation website.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                              Well, then, have a look on the Irish Family History Foundation site and see if it is on there. If not, then you would probably need to go to an LDS Family History Centre which has the Irish GRO indexes available on microfilm and get the references to order it from the Irish GRO.
                              For some years the actual books have been filmed and are also available at the LDS centres. Mum was surprised that I came back from Hyde park not just with the eindex for her birth but the hand written details too...;)

London Family History Centre > Film Catalogue > Ireland

I've managed to pin down some stuff on the IFHS without paying and then trotted off to hyde park to have a better nosey.

Have a browse for the general Irish stuff

London Family History Centre is their new website for their online catalogue. So it's well worth having a look to see what they hold as I've just had a browse and it's much more comprehensive than the old one

Don't know if this has been changed in the wikki?

Comment

Sorry for not getting back sooner everyone.
                                I'm looking at a birth about 1826, possibly in Londonderry.

Comment

Okay, then I would try FamilySearch and then Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation

-oops, sorry, London/derry isn't on there yet - you may have to wait for it to go online!
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

This site has more information about which parish records are available for Derry and where can be found: County Derry
                                    Sarah

Comment

Thank you both.

Comment

Working...
                                      X