One huge cheer for Irish research!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One huge cheer for Irish research!

I don't know how I missed the following! My excuse is that OH has been ill this year, no Irish visits and another grandchild so May onwards was very busy for me, but in case others have missed the news then they might be interested in the following. As I have Tipperary roots and have struggled for years to get information I am over the moon. For those already in the know apologies but I have not seen any indication on here about this good news.

"29th May 2008

National Library has re-opened Roman Catholic parish registers for Cashel & Emly, Cloyne and Kerry.

After 16 years of no access, the National Library has finally re-opened public access to the parish registers of the 'closed' dioceses of Cloyne, Kerry & Cashel & Emly. The issue of access to the microfilms of the registers from these dioceses has been a hot issue for many years now and is one that CIGO has raised previously with the Library. However, much of the success in finally getting the films once again open to the public must be attributed to the Association of Professional Genealogists in Ireland (APGI) and in particular its members Paul Gorry and Maire Mac Conghail and the influence they have both used in recent times. In doing so they highlighted the fact that as far back as 1994 the Library had received legal opinion that the Bishop of Cashel & Emly's claim to own copyright of the registers (and thus the Library's microfilm copies of them) was without legal foundation. An excellent press release about this story can be read on APGI's website."

Janet

PS For those who do not know the Diocese then Cashel and Emly are all Tipperary, North and South, and parts of Limerick. Cloyne is part of Cork County around Kilworth whilst Kerry Diocese is just mainly Co Kerry.
    Last edited by Janet; 05-11-08, 11:33.

Originally posted by Janet View Post
    ... Kerry Diocese is just mainly Co Kerry.
    ... but also includes the part of Co. Cork (the Beara Peninsula) that my mother's family came from.

Although I can't travel to Ireland to visit the National Library (at least not in the foreseeable future), I still think this is good news.

Thanks for letting us know -

Tim
    "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

janet i noticed you live in london, does 196 canterbury road still exsist,?just found that is where my oh grandfather lived as a child and before he married.brenda xxx

Comment

Tim

Yes, you are correct and in fact quite a lot of Cork County is in the Diocese of Kerry, as the following parish map shows. Basically most places south of Kenmare are Cork County so if you want to know which is which then where it says "Parishes in the Kerry Diocese" click more and the parish map of the diocese comes up. Then click on each parish in turn. My OH has Beara Peninsula Sullivans but we researched those through a hotel on the Peninsula!

Diocese of Kerry

I would also like to add that Cloyne and Kerry Diocese have only ever asked for letters from the Bishop to be able to research, which I have always had granted, pain though that has been. It was the absolute closure of Emly and Cashel to the public, completly closing off Tipperary and parts of Limerick to the general public that have really been the problem since 1994, which was the year I started my Irish research. I will not have to travel around parishes in Tip and Limerick any more cap in hand and maybe now I can find my missing ancestors!

Brenmac

I will look at my London A-Z!
        Last edited by Janet; 05-11-08, 15:48.

Comment

thankyou brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
          X