Help needed to tie up some loose ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to tie up some loose ends

Mark Madin (1852)had married Emma Chambers in 1879. They had 6 children in total. Mark died March 1894 in the workhouse of frostbite and gangrene, Emma was pregnant with the 6th child then - Ada who wasn't born until November, but Mark isn't actually named on the birth cert. The second child Mary Ann who had been born in 1886 drowned in Chesterfield canal in strange circumstances in 1901. Emma described her daughter as healthy but never happy. They were reported to be living in squalor. the fourth child also Mark also died in 1901 aged 9. the four youngest children certainly spent some time in the workhouse, they were in there for the 1901 census.
    Also the mother isn't on the 1901 census but i can't find anything to suggest she passed away.
    I would appreciate any help with this and to find an article on Mary Ann.

Thanks
    Last edited by jennie; 04-11-08, 18:24.
    Jen

Have you looked for a remarriage for Emma? Or tried searching with just her initials? She could have been in an institution, which often listed inmates by initials. I'll have a look but I need to know when and where Emma was born.

As for Mary Ann, I presume you have the death cert? This would state whether or not there was an inquest, and if there was it would give the date. You can use this to check for newspaper coverage. Local newspapers routinely covered inquests. You will probably not find anything online, but would need to contact the relevant archives/local history centre/library service.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

1901 has Chesterfield Union inmates:
      Ada Madin 6
      Annie Madin 13
      George Madin 13
      Mark Madin 8
      Sarah Madin 10

I assume these are Mark and Emma's children? It seems strange that Emma wasn't with them, unless they were taken into care and she had found work elsewhere.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Nell those are the children. Emma was born Emma Chambers 1863 Clay Cross, Derbyshire.
        Thankyou for helping.
        Jen

Comment

Hi Nell I don't have the death certificate i was told this by a very helpful lady on GR but she is no longer a member which is most annoying. I wasn't sure if anyone knew if there was a local paper online which you could search.
          Jen

Comment

This could be her i supose 1901 RG13; Piece: 3248; Folio: 66; Page: 33.
            But then why wouldn't she take her other children it seems very strange.
            Jen

Comment

What about this one
              RG13; Piece: 2637; Folio: 184; Page: 27.

E.M. b c1863 Walton, Derbyshire.
              Patient in Derby County Asylum.
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine that would be a nice thought, the reason i am thinking it could be the reference i have given is because they have the 2 oldest children living with them and the Mary Ann who drowned in 1901 with them. But still i am not sure.
                Also I was told that Mark not sure if senior or Junior was a little bit of a monkey and got into trouble with the police for street fighting and it was in the papers which was found online. I was never given the paper article and now can't make contact. It was the virtual library though i believe it was found but i don't have a web address for it does anyone else know the web address for it please.
                Jen

Comment

Found this one:

The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, December 12, 1891; Issue 16750.

Elaine

Comment

Oh that looks interesting thankyou Elaine.
                    Jen

Comment

Hi

I looked at The Times Digitial Archive but could find no reference to a drowning in Chesterfield Canal in 1901 - there was another one in 1881, a Wesleyan minister.

I also looked at the regional newspapers but the Derby Mercury only goes up to 1900. You could see if the library local to the area has back copies of the local paper.

Diane
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia
                      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thanks Dicole. Could you possibly give me the web address for the Times Digital Archives.
                        Oh and off topic your tur on Generations game.
                        I am going to town tomorrow so will ask if they have anything or if they could order it in for me.
                        Jen

Comment

Originally posted by jennie View Post
                          Thanks Dicole. Could you possibly give me the web address for the Times Digital Archives.
                          If you want free access, the usual route is via your County Library website. You'll probably have to register for their "virtual library" using your library ticket number.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                          X