Can't read his occupation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't read his occupation

Can anyone make out the occupation of George Price on the 1851 census please?
    Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1493; Folio: 911; Page: 4; GSU roll: 87822-87823.
    At first glance it looks like one thing... then another... thank you
    John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

I think it says 'Japanner' which seems to mean someone who varnishes in the style of the Japanese
    Margaret

Comment

I think it says Japanner.

Japanning meant covering wood in black lacquer, which was very fashionable at one time.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Japanner (?)

Jackie
        Jackie

Comment

I agree... well done and thank you. I had hope it said butcher although it wasn't even close. Oh well, he is not my man. Thank you all
          John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

Is this the one you are looking for
            1851 HO107; Piece: 1478; Folio: 280; Page: 42;
            Elaine

Comment

I found it about an hour after you posted the above and just came back in... YES, thats the butcher, well done Elaine... I am still pleased finding it under G R Price
              John

Comment

Working...
              X