can anyone identify this uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone identify this uniform

he was robert john mccartie stationed in india in 1909 where trevor dad was born robert mccartie,

Can't help with the uniform I'm afraid but did you know that there are 2 army pension records on Ancestry for a Robert John McCartie? Don't know if its your man.

Jackie
    Last edited by Night Owl; 04-11-08, 15:44.
    Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
      Can't help with the uniform I'm afraid but did you know that there are 2 army pension records on Ancestry for a Robert John McCartie? Don't know if its your man.

Jackie
      jackie i didnt know can you email me them ?i would love to see,brenda xxx

Comment

Hi Brenda

I can certainly mail them (there are 10 pages) but can we just check its the right man first please. Was his wife Margaret Breen?

Jackie
        Jackie

Comment

yes they has trevors dad in india she was irish and so was trevors grandad but lived in cheshire brenda xxxx

Comment

I've got your PM thanks. There are actually 8 pages so I'll start saving them and will then email them to you. It may take a little while

Jackie
            Jackie

Comment

I think you will find the Army records are free to view during the month of November.
              Elaine

Comment

when i go on ancestry where do i go from there to view them ? brenda xxx

Comment

Brenda

I didn't know they were free in November but I've now sent them by email. You might find something else though with the free stuff

Jackie
                  Jackie

Comment

jackie my hubbie is over the moon,he is sat reading them,and yes its the right one,i have been trying for 3 years to find his family.his mum always said he was in india and this says hong cong,his mum said his dad was john and it was robert john,so i have been missled thats why.but the children are all the right one,s,winnie died 4 years ago she gave us a photo of his grandad and his father he never knew as he died when trevor was 18 months old.again im so gratefull to you thankyou brenda xxx

Comment

Hi Brenda

I'm really pleased they're the right ones and that Trevor is enjoying them

Jackie
                      Jackie

Comment

jackie he has read and reread them,,he always said oh dont bother when i was researching for him but know he is thrilled as he never knew his dad or grandfaher,i know where there both burried winniie and kathlene and his grandmother are in the same grave along with a baby of different name we yet have to identify.i went on ancestry but the pages took so long to load i gave up.but thankyou for what you found would i be able to get the pageg blown up bigger so we can read them without having to use a magnifying glass?we know know his grandad was in hong kong and not india as we thought,also young robert john trevors father was not born in india,we are trying know to get his birth certificate but we cant read where he was born on the document you got for us,the others were chester,and about there but roberts has 3 words to where he was born or that what it looks like.again thankyou from trevor and my self brenda xxxx

Comment

Good morning Brenda

It looks as though young Robert John was born in Shorncliffe on 8th May 1909 and baptised there on 30th May by Rev W Keating. I've googled Shorncliffe and it was an army camp near Folkestone, Kent.

His birth cert entry is on FreeBMD Q/E June 1909 Elham Vol 2a page 1156

What programme are you reading the documents in? I can see them in Microsoft Office Picture Manager and at the bottom there is a scroll bar that you can use to zoom in. I'm wondering whether your picture programme has something like that.

Jackie
                          Jackie

Comment

Hello Brenda,

I zoomed in and it still isn't very clear, B**klow. So I looked up the birth on FMP and it says Bucklow! The mmn is down as Madill, she wasn't married before was she?

Oops, sorry forgot to put who it was for. Margaret W. b 4/4 1916
                            Last edited by Tree genie; 05-11-08, 09:35.
                            Janet ;)

Researching - Curr, Woolven, Beeden, Haslett, Shurey, Barton, Slade & Harding.

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain.

Comment

Good morning Brenda

It looks as though young Robert John was born in Shorncliffe on 8th May 1909 and baptised there on 30th May by Rev W Keating. I've googled Shorncliffe and it was an army camp near Folkestone, Kent.

His birth cert entry is on FreeBMD Q/E June 1909 Elham Vol 2a page 1156

What programme are you reading the documents in? I can see them in Microsoft Office Picture Manager and at the bottom there is a scroll bar that you can use to zoom in. I'm wondering whether your picture programme has something like that.

Jackie
                              i go into ancestry and click on the free research then i put in the name but torn pages come up and there was 25 pages and when i clicked to read them i was getting half pages and it was taking ages to come up each time. thankyou for the above,i have a letter dated and the adress on the documents you found,it was to robert in 1900 xmas and it was signed mike so i know we have the right one we wonder know if mike was roberts brother,its a very detailed letter,a lot of private stuff so i cant scan and show lol.brenda xxx

Comment

because of what has ben found i now know he served in the british army and was stationed in hong kong and he serverved for 12 years....he was a sappar royal engineers.it says he got thechina1900/1914 star what would that have looked like brenda xxx

Comment

Brenda

Didn't you get the emails I sent you? I saved all the pages and sent them yesterday. I'd also cropped them to make them a bit easier to read. I'm a bit confused though because there were only 8 pages. I don't know who the 25 pages are for.

Jackie
                                  Jackie

Comment

This is probably the "China 1900" medal

China War Medal (1900 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

This is the 1914 Star

WW1 The British 1914 Mons Star Medal WWI

He probably got some other medals in WW1. There is also a medal card on Ancestry for him but for some reason I can't get the image. If anyone else can see it, it would be interesting to see what's on it. I've just tried looking at someone else's medal card and it won't show me that either so I don't know if the site is playing up.

Jackie

Jackie
                                    Jackie

Comment

Brenda

Didn't you get the emails I sent you? I saved all the pages and sent them yesterday. I'd also cropped them to make them a bit easier to read. I'm a bit confused though because there were only 8 pages. I don't know who the 25 pages are for.

Jackie
                                      what i only got 8? is there more?i have been on and found his brothers but halfway through they say the site is having problems i cant get anything now brenda xxx
                                      when i clicked on the site it said there was 25 pages,i only got to 3 and they were half pages.i got the one,s you sent thankyou xxx

Comment

it would be nice if i could get the medal card.brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                                        X