Time Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Machine

If you had a time machine, who/when would you go back to first, and why?

I would go back to 1851 to find out why my GG Grandparents emigrated to New York and stay until c1856 to find out why they came home again:(

*mods feel free to move if you think this should be on general*
    Rose

That's easy to 18 June 1900 Bishop's Court in Naas and the birth of my grandfather so I could ask my great grandmother - who she really was, what her name really was, who her parents were, when/where was she born, if she had siblings, when/if she married my gt grandfather and all the other questions that I want to know! :D
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

I would go back to Georgian London in 1805 to visit my Crisp ancestors & find out where John came from (and his wife Mary Bean). I would have a good look round too and have a dressmaker make me a dress in the latest fashion with bonnet to match and maybe stay on to Jan 1806 to see Nelson's funeral.

Comment

1865, Barnsley to find out why GGGrandad was found drowned in a Reservoir, presumed suicide.
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

I have a relative way back who married a Crisp from Norfolk. In the same village were folk with surnames Lemon, Sago, Hunting, Killing, Lambe, Cooke, Butcher & Baker!

As for going back...
          I want to ask my gt grandmother where she married for the 2nd time (between May 1879 and Mar 1881) , ask Antonetta Browning what happened to her after 1871, and also see what happened to my gt grandfather's 3 brothers, allegedly all drowned in an accident whilst fishing (some time in the 1860s/70s?).

I'd also visit my husband's gt gt gt grandparents' lives. They are missing in 1841 and gt gt gt grandfather just doesn't want to be found 1851 or 61. By 1871 his wife is a widow and there's no sign of a death or burial.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Benny & Nell, I've got a large packet of Crisps lol. No-one to share them with yet though.

Comment

I've got Cripps from Berkshire, but no Crisps.
              Rose

Comment

I think 1861 - to see why my 2 x great grandad has been placed in a ragged school at 6 years of age, then probably 1871 onwards, to see when and where he met my 2 x great grandma.

Comment

I too would like to be in London around 1802. In Lower Thames Street to be exact. Would love to find out who were the parents of my gg grandfather John Clarke. He was orphaned at a young age and placed in a London workhouse.
                  Pam

Comment

I would like to go back to 1827 in Rotherhithe, to ask g-g-g George Dawson, where and when he was born, and when he married Sophia Brazill, his wife.

And to 1840 in Bristol, to find out why Emma Lewis Leek was baptised Cof E at age 16 and where she was born (and possibly who her mother said her father was).

And skip forward to 1914 to find more about why great grand-dad Jim Eccles REALLY left behind his wife and eldest son when he brought his other four children to Australia.

Diane
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia
                    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

My OH would take the boat from Southampton to Cork with his grandfather in 1919 and follow him to his parents house (where, on 25th March 1919, he would have the row that finally finished their relationship forever) and find out who his grandfather's parents actually were!!!!

I would visit my 4xg-grandparents when they were filling in the 1851 census form and ask my 4xg-grandfather what that is supposed to say in the place of birth column :(

Comment

Oh there are so many times, on my side I would like to go back simple to view my dad as a boy and see what his family were like, see my mum as a girl and see her family, as I never meet any of my grandparents, or any of my familys relations in fact.

On my wifes side right back to the Lancashire whiches to find out excatly what one she is related to, and then forward to 1932 and ask whay her natural granddad tried to kill her grandmother by hitting her over the head with a steel bar and placing her on the railway line.:o

An interesting point, would you change anything because think of how many lives through time would be effected by one simple act or conversation. Or would you like to remain in that time period rather than this one. That is something I would consider - providing I have the money for a comfortable life there
                        Rob

https://handmadebooksbyrob.wixsite.com/website/
                        https://www.facebook.com/handmadebooks.byrob.7
                        searching: Hunt, Parker, Beaumont, Horsfall, Redfearn, Barker Spratt and Sidwell

Comment

An interesting point, would you change anything because think of how many lives through time would be effected by one simple act or conversation. Or would you like to remain in that time period rather than this one. That is something I would consider - providing I have the money for a comfortable life there
                          I might like to stay for a few days, but the dentistry and lack of other modern day medicines etc would put me off staying longer!

I might be tempted to purchase a few "antiques" to bring back, but having the right money to pay could be a problem!

Comment

I'd go back to visit my GGGrandmother, Emma Siddle (aka Crawshaw, nee Haigh) and ask her what on earth was going on when she had 6 kids with a man who wasn't her husband and said she was married to their father on their birth records. I'd also ask why she only stayed with him for 8 years, and what happened to her husband.

I'd also want to visit hubby's Liversedge ancestors to find out if they ever really married between leaving England c1851 and ending up in Scotland c1855, or at all lol
                            Tracy

Comment

I'd visit my 4xg grandfather, Egerton Philrick, in the 1760s to find out why he, the oldest son, left home after his apprenticeship in the family business (peruke maker). Did his parents not agree with his choice of wife? His brothers descendants became solicitors and doctors - his ended up as labourers... and where did his wife come from!
                              Jenny

Comment

Oh where do I start:

1. 1853 to see who my 2g grandmother was naughty with
                                2. 1848 the birth of my 2g grandfather to find out more details than his mothers name and to ask his father for more details re his parents.

For my OH:
                                1. Anywhere between 1833-1862 to know more about his 3g grandmother.
                                2. 1782 and 1783 to determine the parents of his 4g grandparents.
                                3. 9/5/1825 Bainton Yorkshire to see who the parents of Aaron were and to get more details.

oh, dear, it appears I'm hogging the time machine.
                                Last edited by Kit; 05-11-08, 09:24.
                                Kit

Comment

Originally posted by rob123 View Post
                                  I don't think I would change anything; I would stay quietly in the background spying. I certainly wouldn't stay. Like Merry I prefer the safety and comfort of our modern world. I do however love the way people showed more respect to each other (if the costume dramas are to be believed lol).

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                                  Oh where do I start:

oh, dear, it appears I'm hogging the time machine.
                                  *confiscates keys from Kit:(*
                                  Rose

Comment

I think when I go back in the time machine it would be easier if I were also invisible! This would save having to get period clothing and it might be easier to find out things if no one could see or hear you and you wouldn't have to explain where you had come from!

Of course, we might find we can't understand a thing they are saying if they have really broad localised accents!

Comment

*confiscates keys from Kit*
                                      :(:(

I think when I go back in the time machine it would be easier if I were also invisible!
                                      I just assumed it was a smart time machine and you just appeared in the right clothes whereever you arrived.
                                      Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                                        :(:(

I just assumed it was a smart time machine and you just appeared in the right clothes whereever you arrived.
                                        absolutely! Although disease an malnutrition are not obligatory lol. There is also an optional invisibility cloak
                                        Rose

Comment

Working...
                                        X