Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henry Brewerton sent to OZ. Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Brewerton sent to OZ. Help please.

According to ancestry Henry Brewerton was sent to Van Dieman's Land in 1841 for 10 years. He went on the ship the Garland Grove.
    He was convicted in Staffordshire.
    Is there any way of finding out more about him?
    Thanks
    Jeanie
    Last edited by Jeanie with one n.; 04-11-08, 14:36.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Hi Ben,
    Would like to know anything about him. I no longer have access to news papers on line.
    Do you know if there are any other courts on line like the Old Bailey site?
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Hi Ben,
      I should explain that I am carrying out a one name study on the name Brewerton.
      I spend happy hours trawling the net looking for any that I do not have on the study.
      Came across Henry and am hoping that those with Australian info might be able to find some info on him so that I can tie him to the study.
      Have been googling staff court records but not much luck so far. They have some on ancestry, ie newspaper from Staffs but the dates are wrong.
      Have to go and prepare tea.
      Will look in later.
      Many thanks for your suggestions
      Jeanie
      Searching for:

Comment

Hi Jeanie,

Try the Tasmanian Archives, if you haven't already done so:

Archives Office of Tasmania : Name indexes

I've just checked, and he's indexed as Henry Brewton.

His conduct record has been digitised, and it's online, free of charge.

The Tas records show the ship as the Lord Goderich, and Ancestry also has some records for a Henry Brewerton being transported on the Lord Gooderich in 1841. Garland Grove may be a mistranscription, but I don't have time to do any more searching at present. With a bit of luck the conduct record will help.

Comment

Goodness, I just had a quick look at one of the convict musters on Ancestry, and it says something like "shot while bushranging".

- Ancestry.com.au

Comment

Goodness Mary!!
            What a life this lad lived. Have just had a quick look so far. It seems he was 14 and I think it is saying his native place was Bilston.
            He seemed to be in constant trouble and his conduct is described as Bad most of the time.
            Many thanks for the tas link which I have book marked.
            Can't use your other link since it will not let me on.
            I might get husband to join the free Oz trial from his laptop since I find so many Brewertons there!!.
            Many thanks once again for all your help.
            Jeanie
            Searching for:

Comment

Closing down the page I noticed that scrawled across the page is written: Shot by the constables whilst an absconder, 25/12/1867.
              Searching for:

Comment

I think the one on Ancestry said 1847, not 1867.

Comment

Hi Mary I had another look. It's on page 16. It may well be a fancy 4 rather than a 6.
                  Many thanks.
                  Searching for:

Comment

There are a number of potentially-useful links in the Wiki - under Law & Order.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine,
                      I have had a look at the wiki and found the link that Mary gave me.
                      I will re look.
                      Searching for:

Comment

Working...
                      X