Northumbria Chief Constables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northumbria Chief Constables

Can anyone help please? John Walter Hewett, my great great grandfather was born in 1822. He appears on my great grandfather’s marriage certificate in South Shields, County Durham, as a “Superintendent of Police” in 1882. According to the 1851 census John was living as a police constable with his wife Mary in Surrey. She is listed in the 1861 census as residing in Tynemouth as a “Chief Constable’s Wife” but he doesn’t appear in that census at all. I can find no other references to him and wondered where I can find a list of Chief Constables in Northumberland/Durham area during the 1850’s.

Many thanks

Alan K

1861 census
    RG9; Piece: 455; Folio: 94; Page: 62
    Listed as Superintendent of Police - recorded as Visitor - living Kingston Surrey.
    Elaine

Comment

Sorry Alan, just realised you are a new member. Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Do you have access to Ancestry - if so do you know how to use the census reference that I have given to you.
      Elaine

Comment

In 1871 Mary is a widow, still living in Northumberland with some of the children
        RG10; Piece: 5115; Folio: 96; Page: 19
        Elaine

Comment

There is a death in Tynemouth which may be the correct one (from freeBMD)

Deaths Mar 1871
          Hewett John Walter age 49
          Tynemouth 10b 120
          Elaine

Comment

I wonder if this relates to your man

TNA record

- although the date is a little earlier than you would expect unless he left the Met and moved up to Northumberland at that time.
            Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 04-11-08, 14:56.
            Elaine

Comment

Was he in the Metropolitan police? If so, his service records and possibly pension record, will be at Kew (the National Archives).

If not, the records would either still be with the relevant police force, or in the relevant county archives.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Not sure what area was covered by the Metropolitan Police Force.
                In 1851 he was living in Merton, Surrey, and in 1861 was a visitor in Kingston.
                Elaine

Comment

Well, the Met covered about 15 miles radius from the City, the first divisions were
                  No.1 District: G - Finsbury; H - Whitechapel; K - Stepney; N - Islington; and Thames Division.
                  No. 2 District: D - Marylebone; E - Holborn; S - Hampstead; X - Paddington; Y - Highgate.
                  No. 3 District: A - Whitehall; B - Westminster; C - St. James's; T - Kensington; V - Wandsworth.
                  No. 4 District: L - Lambeth; M - Southwark; P - Camberwell; R - Greenwich; W - Clapham
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                  X