Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genealogy for a 10 year old

Hi

my son has decided that he would like to research his family tree, he's very keen and i have told him that we will go and buy a book today so that he can record all the info he finds. Ive looked on Waterstones, but cant see any good childrens one, especially not any in stock in my area. Can anyone tell me if there is a particularly good recording book which is suitable for a child.

Many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I suppose he could make his own diary. With a loose leaf folder you could download some charts. He could then have pages to write information/stories about people.
    He could add photos, drawings etc.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I would encourage him to do it the "adult" way right from the start. He will probably pick it up a lot faster than you, lol.

There are loads of free charts to download, including from this site. A ring binder and some polypockets should be all he needs to start him off.

OC

Comment

Family Tree Children ? What a superb title for a series by a latter day Enid Blyton:D

Comment

I would get a nice ring binder and plastic pockets. He will be familiar with using the computer and there's all sorts of goodies to download free, especially charts to fill in. Then maybe he'll want to design his own tree with pictures, maps and photos.

Ready made books to fill in are OK (my daughter had one when she was about the same age) but unforunately they never quite 'fit' the unique facts about your own family. For example too much room for cousins if you only have a couple (like my kids) or too little room if you have 36 (like my OH )

Anne

Comment

Agree with OC - a file and polypockets so he can collect, arrange and reshuffle what HE thinks is important.
            I think "hands on" is very important for youngsters, selecting & mounting photos, walkabout with a digital camera, researching grandparents' interests (e.g the football team grandad supported etc).
            And they always love census and chasing one family through each consecutive census.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Acid-free pockets please!

Sounds a lovely idea, good luck to him.
              Rose

Comment

and he can ask all the questions I couldn't as I left it too late, good luck to him.

Comment

I have been watching this thread as I have said to my daughter I would get her some kind of book - not neceassirily a workbook - on family history and then she can make a start

I was browsing for something else just now and chanced across this the first one - Young Historian

I thought that seemed good value and I may buy it for my daughter - just thought I would share
                  Names I am researching
                  GARNETT, ALMACK, WHITAKER, WARD, ARCHER - Skipton, Yorks HIBBERT, SHUTTLEWORTH, HAYTHORNWHITE, HITCHEN, MARSDEN Lancashire EMERY Manchester WALTON Northants and Sunderland PARROTT Northants GREENWOOD, Lancs and Yorks SUNDERLAND, TODD, KEIGHLEY, SNOWDEN, TURNER Yorkshire WOODROFFE Wilts, Leics and North East CROSSLEY, COATES, FORSTER, WRIGHT, LAVERICK, CUNNINGHAM Sunderland / North East BISSETT Scotland and Sunderland

Comment

It may also be worth a visit to this site:- MyHeritage - Free Family Tree - Genealogy - Family Photos

The free tree prgramme is colourful and very easy to use, especially the photo function. It presents in quite a visual manner which will keep children interested. If you explore the site further it has some fun things to do such as morphing your own photos into celebrities and seeing which parent a child most resembles.

I have recently started an adult on family tree research and he is using the Tree builder programme, and because it has full gedcom functions he can take his time to chose another tree programme to buy and transfer his data at a later date.

The only draw backs I have found is that the ony English option is American, and it asks every time you close the tree whether you want to put it on-line. I have used Family Tree Maker since I started over 10 years ago but I think this free tree builder gives it a run for its money!!
                    Helen
                    Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Thanks all for your help. Yesterday i printed him a fan chart, plus a pedigree and 10 family record sheets. He has so far filled in the fan chart and pedigree and complted the family record sheet for me. He is very keen to do it, and i have refused to tell him the answers so he has to look for himself. Although he was convinced that in the Records office there was a book called "Jamies Family Tree" so he wouldnt need to look any further!!:D

Thanks for the website too, i wonder if recording things online will be easier for him than writing, as he is not great at that. He has gone off to school today with his folder and is taking it around to my mums tonight to question her on everything!!:D
                      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
                        Thanks all for your help. Yesterday i printed him a fan chart, plus a pedigree and 10 family record sheets. He has so far filled in the fan chart and pedigree and complted the family record sheet for me. He is very keen to do it, and i have refused to tell him the answers so he has to look for himself. Although he was convinced that in the Records office there was a book called "Jamies Family Tree" so he wouldnt need to look any further!!:D
                        Thanks for the website too, i wonder if recording things online will be easier for him than writing, as he is not great at that. He has gone off to school today with his folder and is taking it around to my mums tonight to question her on everything!!:D
                        It's not only youngsters who have this misconception. I was at the FRC in London a few years ago when a lady arrived and asked at the desk for "my files" as she wanted to see her family tree. It took a very patient person quite some time to convince her that there was no file and that she would have to look up her birth, parents' marriage etc in the indexes and order certificates. I often wonder whether she persevered and was bitten by the bug like the rest of us, or just gave up
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
                        X