Somerset wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somerset wills

Does anyone know where the wills for Somerset (West Chinnock/Crewkerne) would be held please?

Thanks

Joanie

Hi Joan, I can't tell from the RO website but I'll give them a call tomorrow & ask for you. I would imagine they will be here in Taunton either RO or Library. Soon they are all to be moved together but I can't remember when.
    There is an index online for wills between 1812 & 1857 if that is any good.
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Ok Viv thanks!!

I think his death may fall between those dates. Do you have the web site addy for the online wills that I can have?

Thanks!
      xx

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by benny1982
        Hi Joan

What was his name?

PCC wills are online but I wouldn't think a Somerset resident would register his will in Canterbury but you never know. More likely to be the Somerset Record Office.

Ben
        Doesn't it depend on the value of the estate where the will was proved?

Comment

This is it, Joan:
          DDED search form

They are estate death duty copies. I'll see if I can dig up the info of how you order a copy...
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Ben

Do you mean the wills on the NA site? I have looked on there but no joy. His name was Thomas Murley; I don't know exactly when he died as yet, he was born in 1778 so he may have died prior to the 1837 registrations. It doesn't say he was deceased on his daughter's marriage cert in 1841 though. No burial that matches on the NBI & they moved around a lot so I am having fun tracking him down, lol!

Joanie

Comment

Have a look here:

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Wills

where it says Factors determining where a will would be proved.

Comment

Send an email to:
                archives@somerset.gov.uk

or phone 01823 278805

and they'll tell you how to order a copy (if you've found an entry in the index)

By the way, click on the link on that search page I posted up because there is lots of info on there explaining what happened to the originals of the wills.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Kite, I had a look & there is a John but no Thomas.

The only reason why I think there could be a will is that he is listed as a "Gentleman" on the marriage cert. My first one, they are normally ag labs, lol!

;)
                  Last edited by Joan of Archives; 03-11-08, 23:06.

Joanie

Comment

The only Murley listed on that Somerset DDED index is a John Murley 1844 - any good?

Oh, I see you already found him!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Some "gentlemen" managed to give away all their estate before they died, and so avoided death duties.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Yep I suspected that Ben

Ah Kite that may be it, I will give them a ring or email to see if they keep lists like Herts RO all nice & neat & alphabetical (if I'm lucky!) lol !

Joanie

Comment

My first "gentleman" died 1846 and he didn't leave a Will. I managed to talk to ANthony Adolph once about what being a gentleman involved and he said by this time it didn't really mean anything significant - anyone could choose to call themselves one - but it generally meant someone who didn't need to work for a living.

I assumed this would mean owning land, so searched for a Will, but as it turns out his main source of income was from his time as an accountant to the wealthy, many of whom made him executors in their Wills, for which he received an income for managing estates after their deaths or a lump sum from the estate.

His lack of Will makes me think his 4 children and 33 grandchildren had bled him dry before he died.
                          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I think his son was a Ham dealer so I expect he probably sold lots of bacon for a living, lol!!

I don't think he was landed gentry or anything quite as posh

:D:D

Joanie

Comment

Hi Joan, I've just got back here & see you have had lots of input.
                              Do you still want me to call them?

I can pop down there if there is anything you want looking up, it's only five mins in the car.

Comment

Sorry Viv

I am going to try to ring them today, it's on my (very) long list of jobs "to do"

Thanks for the kind offer, I will let you know if that's ok.

:D
                                xxx

Joanie

Comment

Can't seem to be here at the same time Joan.:D

Just to say the above number is not the one I use, so if you have any probs let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                  X