Clear All

• Marriage certificate 1843

Today I received the marriage certificate of

GEORGE FROST and MARY BURGON

Dec 14th 1843 Sheffield

The information is quite useful as it gives:

George's age - 36
    Occupation - Cutler
    The fact that he is a widower (I didn't know that)
    Where he was living (Sky Edge)
    His father - Thomas Frost Labourer

Mary's age - 29
    Spinster
    Where living - but writing very poor - Glossopsand??
    Her father: Josh Burgon Sawyer

From this information I have been able to get Mary's family back to her grandfather Thomas Burgon/Burgan and his wife Hannah Child.

The only infuriating this is the lack of information on the church:

It just says
    "Marriage solemnized (word "at" crossed out) by banns in the par of Sheffd in the County of York

Married in the par church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church (field left blank) by me John Teague"

I'd like to know the correct church so that I shall be able to view the parish registers. Sheffield is such a big place that I wouldn't know where to look.

Has anyone any ideas?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Did you get the cert from the GRO or the local register office, Elizabeth?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I take it you have looked at the LDS site.
      Also, it says parish church of Sheffield.
      It may be worth looking on GENUKI to see what it says about parish churches in the area.
      If it's to be, it's up to me.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

If it's the parish of Sheffield, I think it must be what is now the Cathedral. If it was Attercliffe or Tinsley (for example), they would be separate parishes.

There is (AFAIK) a Glossop Road, which could have been written as all one word.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

And why not google John Teague.
          You may get lucky.
          If it's to be, it's up to me.
          Searching for:
          English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Hmmmm.... from GENUKI:
            Slater's Directory 1850.
            Whitfield is a village about one mile from Glossop - to which parish it formerly belonged, but in 1844 was constituted a parish under Sir Robert Peel's act, and now includes Hadfield, part of Padfield, Dinting and Chunal. In 1846, a new church was consecrated for the district, and dedicated to St James: the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of the diocese alternately; the Rev John Teague is the present incumbent.

So we need to know where he was before that!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Gosh! I went off to get a cup of tea and came back to all these replies! Thanks to you all.

It was in my mind to google John Teague.

I got the certificate from the GRO. (I'm avoiding Sheffield now as it completely messed up sending the birth cert. of John Henry Frost - I finally got it, but only after countless phone calls etc. They said that "family history is a low priority"! )

I wondered if it could mean the Cathedral, although most entries would say that.

I'll go and have a ferret around..
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Googling Sheffield Cathedral, the parish church did not attain Cathedral status until 1914. The same is true of a good many other parish churches round the country, only elevated to cathedral status in modern times.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Yes, Southwark Cathedral (St Saviours) and Chelmsford Cathedral (St Mary's) were both parish churches originally.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                  X