Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WALTON - Kingsthorpe

Hi
    I am despearatley trying to knock down some brick walls in Kingsthorpe, Northampton, Northamtonshire, England

I have got far back as John Walton who married Frances Parrott in 1835 and later after Frances' death he married Charlotte butler (nee Wright).

On all of the census info it states that John was born in Kingsthorpe and in his marriage to charlotte it states his father was Henry Walton.

I am desperately trying to find a record of JOHN WALTON's birth circa 1812 and his parents marriage.

I believe he had at least two sister's Mary and Catherine, the eldest being born 1803, so would assume HENRY WALTON and his wife were married late 1790's early 1800's

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by humbug; 03-11-08, 14:06.
    Names I am researching
    GARNETT, ALMACK, WHITAKER, WARD, ARCHER - Skipton, Yorks HIBBERT, SHUTTLEWORTH, HAYTHORNWHITE, HITCHEN, MARSDEN Lancashire EMERY Manchester WALTON Northants and Sunderland PARROTT Northants GREENWOOD, Lancs and Yorks SUNDERLAND, TODD, KEIGHLEY, SNOWDEN, TURNER Yorkshire WOODROFFE Wilts, Leics and North East CROSSLEY, COATES, FORSTER, WRIGHT, LAVERICK, CUNNINGHAM Sunderland / North East BISSETT Scotland and Sunderland

Is this Kingsthorpe Northants?

Comment

Yes it is - sorry
      I will try and amend my first post
      Names I am researching
      GARNETT, ALMACK, WHITAKER, WARD, ARCHER - Skipton, Yorks HIBBERT, SHUTTLEWORTH, HAYTHORNWHITE, HITCHEN, MARSDEN Lancashire EMERY Manchester WALTON Northants and Sunderland PARROTT Northants GREENWOOD, Lancs and Yorks SUNDERLAND, TODD, KEIGHLEY, SNOWDEN, TURNER Yorkshire WOODROFFE Wilts, Leics and North East CROSSLEY, COATES, FORSTER, WRIGHT, LAVERICK, CUNNINGHAM Sunderland / North East BISSETT Scotland and Sunderland

Comment

No problem. Welcome to FTF, by the way

It looks as though you're going to have to do some searching in parish registers.

Northants isn't very well covered by the IGI (or at least the parts I'm interested in never are), and it doesn't include Kingsthorpe. Nor does FreeReg, yet, although it will eventually.

You might try this lady, who's offering look-ups:

Kingsthorpe

however, the page hasn't been updated for a long time, so she may not still be doing them.

If she isn't, and you can't get to the Northants Record Office, you can order microfilms from your local LDS centre for a nominal fee.

Comment

Hi Mary - thankyou for the welcome

I have been "lurking" for some time!!!

I have emailed that lady before, but she never replied - I assume its all out of date now - incl email addresses too perhaps

I have a marriage index on CD that i purchased and there are two Henry's listed, neither from Kingsthorpe and both a lot earlier to make them the right one.

I am awaiting a birth index too now

Sigh :lol:

Thankyou for trying though
          Names I am researching

Comment

Just checked Pallot's marriage and birth indexes - nothing there either.

Do you have an LDS centre anywhere near you?

Comment

Hi Humbug, Welcome to FTF

]

Comment

Have you found John and Henry on the censuses? What were their occupations?

Comment

thanks light (have we met before light??)

mary - there was a centre near us - i am not sure if it is a centre as such now - but i am quite near to a massive one - like a HQ one - if you see what i mean
                  Names I am researching

Comment

Theres a couple of trees on Ancestry with a John Walton from Kingsthorpe, Have you tried contacting them?

Hi Humbug we sure have lol..

]

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      Have you found John and Henry on the censuses? What were their occupations?
                      I havn't traced Henry at all

I have John in each - up to his death in 1895
                      He was an agricultural labourer
                      Names I am researching

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Light View Post
                        Theres a couple of trees on Ancestry with a John Walton from Kingsthorpe, Have you tried contacting them?

Hi Humbug we sure have lol..
                        I thought so - as I typed it

Hmm I havn't found any on ancestry from Kingsthorpe - one is probably mine of course
                        Names I am researching

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                          I thought so - as I typed it

Hmm I havn't found any on ancestry from Kingsthorpe - one is probably mine of course
                          Ones called the Walton Family Tree and the other is Walton Garnett with 6 records attached to John..,

]

Comment

Done that now - why oh why didn't I think of that !!!

Walton Garnett is mine
                            Names I am researching

Comment

Make a note of this just in case it turns out to be relevant:

Will of Henry Walton, Gentleman of Borough Fen , Northamptonshire 03 March 1801
                              although it may not be, because Borough Fen isn't all that close to Kingsthorpe, and the death's probably too early anyway.

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Wills
                              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 03-11-08, 15:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                Make a note of this just in case it turns out to be relevant:

although it may not be, because Borough Fen isn't all that close to Kingsthorpe, and the death's probably too early anyway.

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Wills
                                Thanks Mary - thats interesting - as I have a marriage of Henry and Mary Harrison - he was of Borough Fen, but they were married in 1777

I have kind of ruled that marriage out owing to the fact that it was a good twenty years before John's birth - but you never know

I will keep this in mind though - thankyou
                                Names I am researching

Comment

Hi again

just to update
                                  someone did a search for me - and the second marriage of John to Charlotte - apparently showed John's father as Henry - which is where I got the name from

Now I have been contacted by the ancestry tree owner and she said that she found out that Jogn's parents were thomas Walton and Sarah Mumford - I have their marriage transcript here - wonder which is correct - thomas or Henry??

I need this birth disk and also I think the marriage cert of the second marriage
                                  Names I am researching

Comment

I can see Northants CRO from my bedroom window,. It wont be this week, but I'll go look for you, prob next.

Chances are , if he was baptised in Kingsthopre, its will have been at ''The church on the green'' - St John The Baptist - , which is shown in our Wiki.http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...and_Parishes_K

Do you know where abouts in kingsthorpe? Photos can be taken of any places that are of interest to you in the vicinity, just shout
                                    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 04-11-08, 18:41.
                                    Jess

Comment

oh jess - thankyou so much - i'll be back just now with all the facts i know

thankyou thankyou
                                      Names I am researching

Comment

ok here is what i know as facts:

I have wored backwards quite throughly and have a birth certificate for charles Walton born 1839 in Boughton - parents were john walton and frances nee Parrott - he is a labourer - she is illiterate

A search request for Northants and a disk I have purchased have shown John and Frances Parrott to have married 1835 25 Feb at Kingsthorpe CofE - both of this parish

So in 1841 I have located charles aged 1 living with parents John and Frances and two siblings, Elizabeth and James. they lived in Kingsthorpe - High Street, in the hundred of Spelhoe. John is an Ag lab

In 1851 obviously more info is given - John and Frances live still in High street, Kingsthorpe. John is 36, and ag lab, born in Kingsthorpe. charles and more siblings are here also.

In 1857 frances passed away and John remarried a charlotte butler (nee Wright) in 1861
                                        I don't have this certificate but someone did a search for me and told me this
                                        "Kingsthorpe Parish Church
                                        Page. 125 No. 250
                                        Feb 26 1861 By Banns

John Walton 46 Widower Labourer Kingsthorpe father Henry Walton Carrier to
                                        Charlotte Butler 44 Widow Kingsthorpe father Henry Wright Labourer
                                        Both sign with their marks.

Witnesses: Thomas Underwood and Mary Weston."

In 1861 John and charlotte are residing still in Kingsthorpe with some of the younger children of John and Frances

In 1871 they are with a grandson called wilson (no idea who or where he is from!!)

In 1881 ditto

In 1891 i THINK he is alone and lodging with a family called Calvert, still in Kingsthorpe

He died in 1895

Now obvuiously my next move is to locate John's birth details and I have in the past assumed that John's father was called Henry
                                        I have a disk of marriages for Northants and the only Henry's were married in 1777 and 1727 - both in Peterborough

after contacting another Walton hunter earlier she told me this
                                        " john who married francis then charlotte i have down as being born in 1812 in kingsthorpe northampton his parents i have down as thomas walton bap in 1771 died in 1853 he married a sarah mumford 0n 19-10-1795 in moulton northampton this information i got thought someone else in family "

This marriage is on my disk, but before jumping any guns I really need to confirm john's parentage

I think thats about it, but if you need anything else then please just ask
                                        I am very very grateful for your offer.
                                        I am quite familiar with this area - we used to live in Towceter and I worked out of Northants CC offices

but then we moved back to Lancashire!!!

I will look on the website you suggested also
                                        Thanks again
                                        Names I am researching

Comment

Working...
                                        X