Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Army Service Records

Hi

I have sent off for my grt uncle's records (via my father) and received this reply.

"On receipt of your Uncle's Army service file, it was found that some original service documents were sent to the Veteran's agency some considerable time ago and have never been returned to the MOD archives. As a matter of urgency I have requested that theses documents be forwarded to me.

However many documents held at the veteran's agency were destroyed some years ago and you must be aware of the possibility that his documents were among those destroyed"

I wondered whether anyone who has sent off for records ever had this happen to them or knows how they came to be destroyed!

My great uncle died in 1942.

I had a similar letter from them but they managed to trace them so hope your lucky too

Comment

Nowadays they'd store them on a CD and leave them on the train!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Val, i feel a bit more optimistic now!

Lol Nell indeed!! I should not be surprised should I.

But how very dare they lose his records when I have a family story to validate or quosh (love that word) or unquosh or dequosh! :D

Never mind, Val has given me renewed hope!

Comment

Exactly. They are so disrespecting your quashing rights, like, isn't it?

Comment

imagine how I felt when I enquired about a inquest report for 1939 and was told that as it was during the war most had been shredded to help the war effort and mine was included.!!!
            Last edited by Guest; 03-11-08, 22:38.

Comment

Well, just think, if Hitler had won, you wouldn't have been able to find anything out either!

I remember my frustration when I went to Norwich Millennium Library and saw that the Topcroft baptism register gave birth dates as well as baptisms, only to find that the beautifully written records had a great big watermark all over my gt gt grandfather's!

Comment

if that had happened I would not be doing this LOL

Comment

Hiya Kaz!

Do you have the address that you wrote to to get the records as I am very interested in sending off for some in my family.

Ta very much!

xxxx

Joanie

Comment

OOps my spelling is awful (where did I get quosh from please don't tell me it's american I might cry) *searches for spelling brain cell* I think I sneezed a lot today!

Joan,
                    I downloaded forms from the Army Veterans website - you will have to fill in a kinship form and search form but I can't find the link at the moment. It costs £30.

Address:
                    Army Personnel Centre
                    MS Support Division
                    Parliamentary & Disclosures Branch
                    Historical Disclosures section
                    Mail Point 555
                    Kentigern House
                    65 Brown Street
                    Glasgow
                    G2 8EX

Comment

Thanks Kaz!

I will try to get my records from them then, they should prove interesting if they haven't been destroyed

xxxxx

Joanie

Comment

Service records
                        here is the website for downloading the forms

Comment

Thanks for that Val

Joanie

Comment

I have downloaded the forms Val because we would like to trace the war records of George's Uncle who died in Italy at the very end of the War.
                            Can you give us some sort of idea of the info they may provide us with please?
                            Many thanks - Val

Comment

have pmd you Val

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                I remember my frustration when I went to Norwich Millennium Library and saw that the Topcroft baptism register gave birth dates as well as baptisms, only to find that the beautifully written records had a great big watermark all over my gt gt grandfather's!
                                At least the document survived, unlike a lot of the records in the great fry-up of the old Norwich library.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X